Prologue - The Vows

Prologue: The Vows

LOCATION: Unknown

"We have to promise that the public will never know about this, about us." he spoke in a formal, clipped voice.

All at once, everyone around the table spoke their vows.

The man smirked, the rest of his face a blur.

"Well then, as of this day, this never happened. As far as everyone knows and will forever know, Clairefront is gone."

From his pocket, he took a small vial. He shook it once and the clear liquid began to bubble. He then returned it back to his pocket.

"As for this, I think I reserve the right to protect it. To keep it hidden."

After a heartbeat of silence, another man stood.

"What happens now?" the man asked.

"We go underground. This is all too precious to stop now."

"But what about the others?"

"We'll take it one step at a time. Empires aren't built in a day."

The group still seems unconvinced. To this, the man banged his hand on the table, much to the collective gasp of everyone.

"We are on a precipice. We hold the key to evolution. And we did not come this far now just to stop."

"You're right", a woman spoke. One by one, everyone in the table spoke of agreement.

"So it's settled. We'll continue this legacy we built."

"To the future!" one man shouted, in cheer.

"To the future!" everyone said.