part 1.

The sound of the gallop created by the stallion echoed through my mind, it made everything different in there. The feel of the soft hair from where my hands rubbed against, was my heaven. The stallion, who I called Rio, picked up speed as I nudged him with the heel of my boot. The wind flowed through my hair and the gallop, I could feel my hair bounce on my shoulders. It was the only feeling that I loved when I needed time to myself. I always loved to ride stallions, it was a second nature to me, behind my music that I tend to write.

Rio stopped and I pulled him back to take in the scenery. I leaned down and sort of hugged Rio, and he breathed loudly, as if he was comfortable with me doing this. I remember when I first got him, he was very unstable since he was found wandering on the side of the road. It took me five months until he was comfortable with the saddle on his back and then even longer for me to be able to ride him. But, I couldn’t be happier because he’s mine and no one elses.

I nudged him again and he turned to take off in the gallop I trained him to master. We got back to the ranch and I noticed a car that I’ve never seen before in the driveway. I took the saddle off of him, and I brushed him just like always. I got in front of him and went into my back pocket and took out some peppermints. He ate them right up as I ran my hands over his soft coat around his head.

I locked up his stall and I went towards the house only to see someone walk out with folders. I saw Michael and his wife, Catherine, look at me before they just shook their heads and walked inside. My eyebrows furrowed and I walked the rest of the way into the house, I was going to ask what was going on.

“Mike, what’s going on?”

“We’re broke, they are forcing us to sell to the highest bidder.”

“But, how is that possible?”

“I really don’t know, I wish I could tell you.”

“I have money saved up, I could help you.”

“No, you keep that money and get your own ranch one day.”

“But-” “No but’s Harry, we’ll be fine. Don’t you worry, okay?” Michael walked over and kisses my forehead lightly before Catherine did the same. They were like parents to me, since I left home when I came out to my parents and it was clear that they didn’t want me. Michael and Catherine found me and told me that they didn’t care what I did or who I was, just never to wake them up if I brought someone home. But, to this day I haven’t brought anyone home because I don’t want to, well at least not yet.

Both of them walked up the stairs, probably off to bed since it was getting a bit late. I sighed and decided to make tea and some soup. Maybe if I made it fast enough, I could bring it up to them. It took me 15 minutes to make everything and I put two bowls and two cups with tea and soup on to the tray. I put some bread into the soup slightly and I made my way up to their room. The door was open and I peered my head inside, “Hey, I thought I’d make you guys something to eat.”

I walked into the room and set the tray onto the bed where they were sitting, “Thank you for everything Harry, we wouldn’t have been able to get through a lot without you.”

Harry almost cried, “It wasn’t ever a problem. Good night and enjoy.”

“Night Harry.” I walked back downstairs and I sat at the table and ate alone.

**

The next couple of weeks were hell, literally. The only people I liked to call family, left leaving me alone on the ranch for a few days until the new owners arrived. Rio wasn’t cooperating with anything that I tried to do, and I didn’t know why.