Five

He wasn't gone for very long. In all honesty I didn't think that he would return, but as I was conversing with a fish merchant, he appeared beside me. "Where is Cole? " he asked impatiently as I was handing the money the Captain entrusted me to the merchant. 

"I sent him to search the other stalls." 

The merchant informs me that the barrels of fish will be delivered to the ship and I thank him. "you shouldn't have done that." Jim says, and at first I think he's criticizing me for choice in supplies, but he soon continues. "A woman shouldn't be out here alone." 

His comment makes me roll my eyes, but also  brings a small smile to my lips. I wonder why he feels so protective over me. After being alone for years, it was weird hearing someone else worry for my safety. 

"You're the one who said he couldn't fend off a rat." I tell him. 

We walk along the market, stopping at a few stalls. I order some more supplies to be delivered to the ship, and Jim shadows me. He doesn't speak a word which makes me uncomfortable. We get to a fruit stall and I pick up large round pink fruit and examine it.  "That a Gemstone Orange." the merchant informs me. 

I've never heard of a such a fruit but its bright appearance intrigues me. "Do they keep well?" I ask. 

"Extremely," Jim says, "If you store 'em right, they'll last a month at sea, maybe more. They're so good, though that they'll be eaten before that month is up." 

He picks up a purple coloured fruit as I order two barrels of the Gemstone Oranges. "Here," he says, "try this."

I take the fruit hesitantly and he ushers for me to bite into it. I'm glad I did, the juicy fruit is the right level of tart mixed with sweet. 

"Good?" he asks, though I know from my face he knows the answer. 

Mhmm, is my only response as I take another bite of the delicious fruit. 

"These, unfortunately don't keep well at all." he says and orders a small bag of them. The merchant hands him the burlap sac of fruit and Jim hands him the money from his own purse. 

I look up at him confused and he gives me a small smile. "I doubt you'd eat an entire crate yourself." he says.

My eyes widen in surprise at his words. "Those are for me?" 

We begin walking back to the ship and he nods. "You said you liked them, and I felt bad for leaving you earlier." 

I don't say anything but "thank you," and Cole joins us, handing me the rest of what was left in his purse. He tells us of the food he ordered and seems quite proud of himself. His confidence makes me smile, and its not long until we reach the doc where The Aurora I waiting. I hand Cole the list of supplies and order him to wait for the deliveries while I go and begin cooking dinner. Jim follows me and places the bag of fruit on a nearby surface. He doesn't leave right away however. He looks around at the room and the cot. 

"What I wouldn't give for a bed right now." he sighs, this surprises me. 

"You don't have a bed, up there?" I ask, after dipping my hands in a bowl of water and drying them on my apron. I grab some vegetables from the crates and begin to chop them. He shakes his head, and takes a seat on the cot. "So where do you sleep?" 

"There's a comfortable enough chair upstairs" He says simplistically. "normally the Captain sleeps in his quarters, but our special guest has since taken that as her own. Which forces him to take my quarters. He won't tell anyone, but if he were to sleep in a chair there's little chance his joints would allow him to get up again." 

I don't say anything, instead focusing my attention the vegetables. Its not my place to speak on matters that involve the Captain. 

Jim, sensing my uneasiness, gets up and begins to walk away but stops himself. "May I ask you a question Miss Anya?" 

Hearing the name from his lips makes it impossible for me to continue diverting my focus. "Just Anya , Sir." I say putting the knife down. 

He looks down and smiles before meeting my eyes. "What did you say to The Captain?" 

The question baffles me, and when he sees my confusion he continues, "Everyone on this crew has been here longer than either of us have been alive. He's not one to simply pick up a crew member he's never met, let alone a girl." 

I shrug at his statement. Recalling the night I met Captain Romero, I can't think of a single thing that I had said that would sway him to hire me. 

"I simply asked for safe passage." I reply after a minute. "May I ask you a question?" 

He nods. 

"Who is he to you?" I ask. 

The question takes him by surprise, and he looks at me with an unfamiliar expression. "He's my Captain" he says. 

At this I shake my head, "I know he's the Captain, but who is he to you. Father, uncle, brother, cousin?"

He doesn't answer right away, and for a minute I think he might leave without providing me with an answer. I begin to chop the vegetables again when he finally answers. 

"He's my father." his voice breaks the piercing silence. 

He turns again to walk, and I know I should let him walk away, but I don't. "You can sleep down here." I say. 

"With you? That cot is rather small." 

For a second I think I've insulted him somehow, by the sound of his voice, but his smirk proves me other wise. 

"No, not with me." I explain, turning back to the task at hand."But, during the day, if you need to rest." I don't finish the sentence. 

A crooked smile pulls on his lips, "Thanks. I'll  have to take you up on that," and with that he climbs the stairs and leaves. 

He does take me up on the offer. The next day around noon he walks down the stairs and points at the cot, fatigue plaguing his entire form. I nod and he lies down. It doesn't take him very long to fall asleep, and soon the sound of chopping is mixed with his light snores.