Chapter Eleven

The next day Rose got into the passenger seat of Nick's car. She rested her head against the window the entire car ride. She hated everything about today. She just wanted it to end when it had just started.

"Are we done yet?" Rose turned to her brother.

"We haven't even got there yet, Rose." Nick turned to his sister.

"Can't I just sit in the car?" Rose whined.

"Who knows how many hours I'll be in there." Nick responded.

"Oh no, no, no." Rose wiggled her finger. "We are not staying that long. Hour at the most. Any longer and I'm leaving without you."

"I have the keys." Nick smiled.

"I'll walk home."

"No you won't." Nick laughed loudly. "Especially in those shoes."

Rose looked down at her large heels. "What's wrong with my shoes?" Rose pouted. She looked a lot like a child who had just been told no.

"Nothing, Rose." Nick shook his head. He parked the car and made his way into the building, Rose reluctantly following behind.

Nick knocked on a door and it opened to reveal Tom. "Nick! You made it!" He smiled widely. His smile quickly turned into a straight line when he saw Rose. "Who's your friend, Nick?" Tom looked Rose up and down.

She looked away from him, disgusted.

"You know my sister, Rose. She was at your wedding." Nick was oblivious to his sisters discomfort. Tom kept his eyes on Rose as she walked past him, into the small room.

"Ah yes, Rose." Tom smiled at the girl. He held his hand out to take hers.

Nick nudged the girl in the side when she didn't move. Rolling her eyes, she placed her hand in Tom's. He left a kiss on her knuckles smiling up at her. She removed her hand quickly, not bothering to cover up the back of her hand wiping onto her dress.

"Are we early?" Nick looked around the room. Tom's usual friends weren't there. He could have sworn they were late, due to Rose's protests.

"No, actually it's just going to be us. Myrtle had something come up last minute." Tom sat down on the couch.

"Great." Rose smiled brightly at her brother. "We can go home now."

"Rose." Nick turned to his sister with a warning look.

"No, she's right. I can't make you stay." Tom frowned.

Nick sat next to Tom.

Rose shook her head. "Don't sit down. Nick, no."

Nick ignored his sister and faced Tom. "We haven't had an actual conversation in awhile, why don't we get caught up?" Nick asked.

Tom smiled. "That would be amazing." He turned to face Rose. "Rose? Would you like that?" She didn't respond and Tom looked down at her legs once more. "Your legs look ravishing in those shoes."

"I need to use your phone." Rose responded.

"It's in the bedroom." Tom pointed to the room with the open door.

Rose quickly made her way into the room, closing the door swiftly behind her. She pulled out a small slip of paper from her pocket.

"Call me whenever you're in trouble or just need a friend."

She remembered Gatsby's words as he wrote down his number. Rose quickly made the call and tapped her foot as the phone rang.

"Hello?" Gatsby's familiar comforting voice asked.

"It's Rose." She stated plainly.

"Are you in trouble?" Gatsby asked when he heard the hushed tone to her usually loud and expressive voice.

Rose smiled at his concern. "I just need a friend."

"How can I help?"

"Can you come pick me up?"

"Of course I can."

Rose gave Gatsby instructions to get to the apartment. She patiently waited in the bedroom until she heard a knock on the front door.

"That's for me!" Rose yelled as she ran to the front door, pulling it open.

Her smile vanished as she was met with a redhead.

"Who are you?" The woman placed a hand on her hip.

"I could ask you the same question." Rose mocked the woman's actions.

"Myrtle? What are you doing here?" Tom walked behind Rose.

Rose glared at the woman in front of her. She pulled her arm back and swung it forward, striking the taller woman square in the nose. Rose quickly ducked out of the room, running down the hall.

"Rose?" She grabbed onto Gatsby's arm.

She was laughing hysterically. "No time to explain." She dragged him down the stairs and out the door, to his car. "Drive, fast." She covered her mouth, laughing loudly.

"What happened back there?" Gatsby asked, smiling at the girl beside him.

Rose lent her head back, shrinking into the seat. "I just punched someone."

"And you find that funny?" Gatsby asked the strange girl.

Rose looked up at Gatsby. "She deserved everything she got."

Gatsby laughed, shaking his head. "You are one strange girl, Rose."

"And I'm proud of it." Rose sat back up, pushing her hair out of her face.