Chapter Nine

Rose walked into the shared house with her brother, looking through the mail in her hands. "Nicky, we got a letter from Gatsby."

Nick made his way to his sister, taking the envelope from the pale girls soft hands. She continued to look through the mail as Nick read to her.

"Gatsby invited us to his party this weekend." Nick told his sister, biting into an apple.

"And why didn't he just tell us himself?" Rose laughed. She moved to the counter, placing the mail on the countertop.

"This is just Gatsby's style." Nick explained to the younger girl.

"What isn't his style?" Rose sat down at the dining table.

"Rose." Nick looked at his sister.

"What?" Rose threw her hands up in defense. "I'm only speaking the truth."

"Are you going to go with me?" Nick asked, setting down two plates of eggs and bacon, with a side of toast.

Rose took a bite of her toast. "I think I can squeeze it into my schedule." Rose smiled. Nick smiled back.

There was a knock on the front door and Nick got up to open the door. Rose sat at the table, finishing her breakfast and listened to Nick's voice as he spoke to the person at the door.

"That's today?" She heard Nick ask. "Alright, hurry."

Rose's eyebrows furrowed as she saw well dressed men and woman carrying large flower arrangements into the small house.

"Rose, will you come here for a minute?" Nick called into the house. Rose made her way past all the people, to the front door. "Our cousin, Daisy is coming over for tea. And so is Gatsby."

"Why?" Rose asked plainly.

"All I know is that Gatsby knew Daisy and he wants to catch up." Nick walked past his sister and back into the dining room to finish his breakfast.

Rose watched people work on the yard. Her mind went racing as to why Gatsby would go to the trouble of redecorating an entire yard and house just for a cup of tea with a married woman. Then it clicked. Rose's eyes widened, her mouth fell slightly agape. "I can't believe him."

Rose grabbed her jacket from the coatrack and rushed out the front door. She stopped at the gates. They were surprisingly open. She walked down the long road to the front door of the large mansion. She knocked harshly.

"Miss Rose." The butler opened the door for Rose to enter. "Mr. Gatsby is in his study." Rose marched her way into his office.

"You love her." Rose slammed her hands down onto Gatsby's desk. "A married woman."

Gatsby kept his composure. "Rose? What are you talking about?"

"My cousin, Daisy." Rose folded her arms across her chest. "You redecorated our yard. You put thousands of dollars worth of flowers in our house. Just. For. A. Cup. Of. Tea."

Gatsby stared at Rose. "Please don't tell Daisy."

Rose threw her hands up in the air, turning around. "I can't believe you." She turned back to face him. "She's married." Rose put emphasis on the word married, dragging it out. "You are THE Jay Gatsby. You could have any woman in the world and you choose Daisy Buchanon. A married woman who has a child."

Gatsby sighed. "I know, Rose. You don't know the story."

"Than tell me the story." Rose sat down on the edge of Gatsby's desk. "Explain."

"It's a long story." Gatsby stood up. Rose stood up with him.

"I've got time." Rose stared up at him. They were dangerously close to each other. Gatsby stared down at Rose.

Gatsby sat back down and he told Rose everything. Rose finally understood, but it still was no excuse.

"I understand why you want to do this. But she's still married. She has a beautiful daughter." Rose explained.

Gatsby looked down with a loud sigh. Rose placed a hand on top of his. "Don't go over to have tea. Please." Gatsby looked up at Rose. He turned his hand over so that he was holding her hand. "We can stay here. I'll stay with you."

"What about Nick?" Gatsby asked.

"I'll phone him. I'm sure he'll understand." Rose smiled. Gatsby smiled back.