Soft!Damien: Unpredictable Catastrophe

Summary: Damien is running for mayor and goes to a campaign. Little does he know that something bad will happen that ends with him winding up in hospital. Is the author getting better at summaries?
Note: This is in my own modern AU, during Damien running for mayor and before Will went to war.
________________________________
It turns out, there are people in the world who, no matter how much you try to please them, will always try to hurt you.

William wasn't one to volunteerily go to the campaigns. He wanted to support Damien with all his heart, but he just didn't like the campaigns. They were to much for him. He didn't like the crowds. So, holding Lukas back so he didn't break free, William wished Damien good luck, gave him a kiss, smoothed down his suit and then Damien departed. William may not be going, but he was going to have it playing on the tv in the background. He waved goodbye and went inside, pulling Lukas up onto his lap, kissing the dog's forehead. Lukas returned the kiss, slobbering over William's face.

In the car Damien recited his planned speech internally and externally. He had it memorised, but the more practise the better he'd remember.
When he arrived he was sure he had his speech memorised perfectly. Each gesture was carefully executed and had a precise place within his speech. He knew when and for how long he would pause. He was ready.

From home, William sent Damien a text, it read, "You got this babe, relax, I know you get stressed and nervous, but it's okay, you're ready. I love you."

Damien read the text, he smiled at his phone and went to reply. Before he could do so, he was told he had to go on stage. He got to the podium and slowly slipped into the concentration of reciting his speech.

William was watching from their home, he was so endlessly proud of his boy. He was out there achieving his dream. Going places. He scratched behind Lukas' ears.
"Look Lukey! Look at him go! He's doing great isn't he! He's got this in the bag doesn't he!" Will used his puppy voice. The standard higher pitch voice with some baby babble thrown in, nothing special.
Lukas barked happily, wagging his tail as he saw Damien on the television.

At that moment, time seemed to slow down for Damien. A gunshot was heard off in the distance and the crowd scattered in every direction like a flock of spooked pigeons. A person stood in the middle of the crowd. They were too far away to guess who they are but by the way they held themself, slouched forward, head tilted, legs offset. Whoever it was held a gun, aimed directly at Damien.

From the home William sat forward in his seat, staring intently at the television. Lukas nipped at his hand and whimpered. He knew something was wrong. Then another gunshot sounded.

Pain was felt before the sound was heard. Searing agony erupted in his torso. Damien dropped a hand to his stomach and when he looked down, his hand was covered in blood and his white vest and shirt was stained already.
The bullet had gone through the thin wood of the podium and had struck Damien.
There was the feeling of someone crashing into him. Damien's consciousness wavered. A green-haired man was looking down at him, tapping his face.
"Hey. Hey! Goldhart you have to stay awake!  Damien! Somebody help! He's been shot!"
As Damien's vision slowly blurred he caught another figure move from behind the curtain. "We've got an ambulance on their way, hold in there, sir." A feminine voice spoke.
Damien turned his head to look for the person in the crowd. There were flashing lights, red and blue fought for dominance. There was distant shouting. The person holding him tapped his face again and he was brought back to reality.
"The police have got that under control, I need you to stay awake until the paramedics get here." The person spoke quickly and with determination.
Damien nodded slowly, trying to sit up. A hand forced him back to the ground. "Damien, don't move."

Will grabbed a lead for Lukas, and ran to his car. Lukas jumped in the passenger side while Will started the engine.
He knew Damien was at least an hour away but he knew that he would drive days to get to Damien if something happened. An hour was nothing but at the same time it was too long.
He pulled out to the drive way and tried to not exceed the speed limit, getting pulled over would just slow him down.