13

"They need me," explained Steve, "I have to meet them in twenty-four hours."

Jane felt her heart drop straight through her stomach.

"That answers my question," said T'Challa. "I will take Nakia with me."

Steve's eyes fixed on Jane.

Do not worry yourself; this means that Jane will have Shuri, Okoye and Ayo looking out for her. We won't be gone long. I have something our friends in South Africa have wanted for a very long time." There was a sly grin on T'Challa's face.

Jane looked worriedly from Steve to T'Challa.

"If you're sure that she'll be safe..." Steve felt surprised at his reluctance to leave and worry pooled in his stomach as he remembered Ayo's sentiments toward Jane.

"She'll be fine; her schedule is going to be very busy from tomorrow. I doubt she'll even notice that you are gone."

Steve conceded. He couldn't leave his friends in trouble, even though every fibre in his body told him to stay.

"Can I come with you?" Jane asked T'Challa.

"Not yet, Li liweyo. There are still some important skills you need to learn before I will risk taking you out into the world," he replied.

Jane was helpless as another wave of disappointment washed over her.

Steve and Jane exchanged a parting greeting with Nakia and T'Challa, before leaving the meeting room.

As they walked back, it felt like Jane's body heat was going to burn a hole through the sleeve of his jacket. He had not ever been as aware of her presence as he was now. It all but had a paralysing effect on him, unable to find any words for her.

As they reached the lab, Steve remembered the iPhone that had been part of Hedrik's list of required materials. Jane had not started to use it yet.

"Hey, where's the iPhone, the smaller box, you got with your other stuff?" He asked.

"It is in my room." She said.

"Let's go get it," replied Steve.

They retrieved the iPhone and went to the Lab lounge. Sitting on the long couch in front of the TV, Steve explained to her in very loose terms what it was. He opened and set it up for her and showed her how to use the call and message functionality, adding his number to her contacts along with Ayo, Okoye, Nakia, Shuri, T'Challa, Dr Schnell and Dr Leloka, who was going to be Jane's psychologist.

Jane was a quick study, and soon she and Steve had fired a test message between them. Staff moved in and out of the lounge but neither Steve nor Jane noticed.

She seemed fascinated by the technology, and Steve felt a little better knowing she could call or text him. Once they had successfully made a test call each way, both sat staring at their locked screens in awkward silence. Jane turned her phone over, running her thumb over the shiny apple on the back.

She contemplated for a moment whether she should mention anything about him leaving.

She opted to go with: "Do you think that T'Challa and Nakia will be able to get the box here soon?"

Steve put his phone in his pocket. "I hope so."

"Are you going to be okay?" he asked her tentatively.

She looked up from her phone with a small smile on her face.

"I will be okay."

"Will you call me if anything happens or if you need anything?" he asked.