Prologue

[Prologue]

[Prologue]

Humidity cursed the air as a storm was approaching in the distance, threatening to take away the sunlight for the remainder of the day. The flowers were enjoying every bit of a sun soak they could gather before they would be naturally watered and all those in passing were able to enjoy the bright colours that decorated the windows of flats that lined down the road. It was approaching the early evening hours as men and women were returning to their homes, preparing to cook and settle down for dinner. However, for one family, the day seemed to be just beginning as they carefully made their way down the pavement.

Twelve Grimmauld Place was not a home for muggle-viewing, as that would be viewed as a disgrace to those that dwelt inside. It was home to the members of the ancestral Black family, the Noble and Most Ancient of wizarding families. Funny enough, the home was located in a muggle neighbourhood, tucked in the Borough of Islington of London. However, muggles were not even aware that the home existed as Orion Black had taken plenty of precautions to ensure that the home had ever safety measure taken. It remained unplottable, so to muggles, number twelve, simply did not exist. 

To enter, would be at the hands of an extended invitation of the family, which was behind the entire reason of the visiting Rosier family that early evening. Victor Rosier walked beside his wife, Heloise and gripping his hand, was his daughter, Éponine. The nine-year-old had firmly latched onto her father since departing from their home earlier that afternoon as they made a trip to Diagon Alley before they were expected at the Black household. The girl was fully aware that something was bound to happen, her parents told her that it was an important day for all of them. She knew something was awry as, during the recent weeks, her parents had been pushing for her to drop her native French tongue and work on her developing English. 

Éponine was quick to assume that whoever they were visiting, it was who she had to learn English for. Already, she was not impressed with the situation she had been forced into over the last couple of weeks, moving from their home in Amiens, France to Sittingbourne in Kent had been a massive change for her. Her mother wasn't too fond of the change as well but she did better to hide it, after all, according to her, they had moved for a good reason. 

"Papa," Éponine whispered, tugging on the sleeve of her father's robes, "Où est-ce qu'on va?"

She simply wanted to know where they were going as no one had given her a clue as to where they were going or who they were visiting. However, as soon as she asked in French, her father came to a halt and gave her a look. Where they were going, they did not speak French, so she needed to speak English, especially if she wanted to make a good impression. 

"Éponine, what did we discuss before we left the house?" Victor asked her in a low voice as he lowered himself to her eye level. For a few moments, she remained silent, simply meeting the dark gaze of the man with her own dark eyes. She didn't understand why they couldn't speak in the native tongue if it was only just the three of them that lingered outside. They weren't in the presence of their company yet, surely it would be fine to speak in their first language rather than the broken English she forced upon herself.