With a small frown, Éponine peered over in the direction of her mother, hoping the woman would interfere and say something on the matter that would be in her defence. However, Heloise remained quiet, only placing a small smile on her face before running her hands through the girl's dark brown hair.

"Sorry, Papa" Éponine muttered in defeat. There was no sense in arguing with her father, especially if she didn't have her mother standing in her corner. Quickly, her father's demeanour changed as he smiled as well, mirroring the actions of her mother and running his own hand through her dark locks. Her parents always treated her with kindness, but since their move, they acted so nervously as if they were on edge about something. She had to wonder if their nerves were brought on by those they were about to visit and if they were, why would they be visiting such people in the first place?

As expressed many times before, even at such a young age, Éponine was the pride and joy of their couple. They only had one child and her mother was more than content with simply having one as they were given multiple opportunities to spoil her throughout the years. Éponine wouldn't consider herself to be spoiled when it came behaviour wise, she didn't act entitled to what was given to her, mainly because her father made it clear that nothing was ever permanent in life. One could go from having everything to having nothing in a matter of seconds if they were not careful, so she learned early on that she had to be thankful for everything she was presented with.

Every beautiful dress her mother gifted to her, the house-elves around their home that made sure she didn't have to lift a finger if she didn't want to, the horses that her father purchased for her to ride on their land, and everything that her parents did for her to ensure that she would be happy in life. 

She was a grateful child, but it certainly didn't make her any less nervous about what they were about to get into with wherever they were going. 

However, Éponine did not have to wonder for long as they reached their destination only seconds later, with her father leading her up the stairs to a home. She could see the number twelve hanging off to the side and when she looked at the other homes that surrounded it, they almost appeared blurry. Her father didn't knock, but those who dwelt inside must have anticipated their company as the door was promptly open to reveal a house-elf. It quickly ushered the small family inside, making its way through the long hallway to reach the main part of the home. 

The child couldn't help but stare as she took in all the new surroundings, yet, her grip seemed to tighten around her father's hand as they followed the house-elf. There was a beautiful chandelier that hung from the ceiling, crystalised drops of rain seemed to loom over their heads as they looked like they were waiting to fall suspended in mid-air. Several gas lamps lit the scene as it was rather dark inside, dark and quiet. 

Off to the side, there was a doorway that seemed to lead into a dining room as Éponine caught a glimpse of the end of a table. Her eyes darted from left and right, trying to take every bit and piece in before they reached their destination. However, as her gaze trailed up the large staircase in front of them, Éponine let out a small gasp of horror before jumping behind her father and hiding away.

"Éponine, what is it, darling?" Her mother asked, only for the adults to witness their daughter reach out one shaky hand and point in the direction of the stairs. Leading up the steps, the walls were decorated with the shrunken heads of the past house-elves that had once served the family. 

As her parents witnessed the scene, her mother grimaced before peering over at her husband to take in his reaction. She could see his jaw clench before he turned his head away, it was a disturbing sight to see the row of heads sticking out. Normally, one would simply bury a house-elf or have the others do it if they didn't wish to see it done. It was an alarming sight but before any of the Rosier family members could comment on such a sight, a voice interrupted their thoughts from the wings of the dining room.