Chapter One: Leaving the Base

"Gengar, use Dream Eater." a voice ordered, and a child cringed in discomfort.

The child began running, running away from the darkness that encroached her slowly.

"Please, you need to wake up. Before it's too late." a voice said, different from the one before.

"Who are you?" the girl asked, still running.

"Someone that wants to help. But you need to wake up."

"Why?"

"Please. You mustn't forget who you are."

"Wha-?"

"What's your name?"

"My... my name?"

"Yes. You still remember your name, right?"

"O- Of course I do! It's... it's..."

"Hurry. There isn't much time."

"It's..."

Why can't I remember my own name?! Why can't I remember anything?!

"———, my little sweetheart, stay safe." the man whispered into the girl's ear, and the girl widened her eyes as the man pushed her away from the hole.

"I- I remember! My name is Nicole!"

"That's good. Looks like I'm not to late. You need to wake up. I've already sent someone to help you."

"Who are you? Will I ever meet you?"

"My name is of unimportance, and I doubt we will meet face to face. Stay safe, Nicole. The fate of the world rests on your shoulders."

"What does that mean?!"

Nicole looked behind her to see that the shadow was looming closer.

"Nicole, wake up!"

"Thank you all for coming. We live in dark times, my friends."

"A grave loss has recently befallen us all."

"The Augur was a great man. Not only was he an unmatched trainer, but his heart burned with the desire to protect his people."

"He was our hero... and possibly the best leader the Torren Region has ever known."

"But..."

"As you know, where other regions have evil Teams or organizations, it's Pokémon-worshiping cults that call the Torren Region home."

"But to these cults, religion is so much more than just believing. They won't rest until the world is remade exactly how they want it to be."

"For our protection, the Augur defeated and disbanded over half of them. He saved us."

"A week ago, he went searching for one of the remaining cults..."

"... ... ..."

"...he has not returned. He hasn't been seen since."

"People of Torren! I, like you, do not believe our Augur is dead. I assure you, I will search tirelessly until he is found again."

"With a heavy heart, I accept the burden of taking his place until he is found. Until the First Augur returns, I shall be the Second."

"I promise you, I will use every resource at my disposal to find him!"

"We will stand our ground! We will not let these cultists... these insurgents... split our families and destroy the place we call home!"