Waking up

She was sitting on her bеd, legs crossed and a laptop in her lap. She was watching some old home-made videos and looking at the small girl on the computer screen she couldn't help but wonder how did all that time went by so quickly. She felt like it was just yesterday when she was that little girl running around and climbing anywhere she could.

A sigh escaped her lips. She had gone to hospital a couple of hours earlier and she felt like things were about to get better. Her father was about to get better. Sure he still didn't look that well and had trouble breathing normally, but she had faith. In a way she felt guilty for not being able to do anything to help her father, but she visited him every possible day when it was allowed and she swore to herself that she'd do anything to help him. He'd get better one way or another. She'd make sure of it.

Little did she know fate had other plans.

She heard her mother's phone ring somewhere in the distance and when a couple of minutes later her mother walked in her room with the bad news her whole world crashed down.

A couple of months later she was standing in front of her grandfather's grave holding the urn that contained her father's ashes. That was all that was left of him now and her heart broke again at the thought.

Her eyelids trembled but her eyes didn't open. She felt her body aching and she was disoriented but she was glad the nightmare was over because she was tired of having it every night. She tried to open her eyes again and finally succeeded. She groaned slightly because of the bright light that blinded her for a moment, then her eyes adjusted and she looked around herself. She realized she was in a hospital and was confused at first, but then all the memories from the shooting floated back. She felt anger mixed with fear and tried to move herself up in sitting position but the pain was too much and she let out a quiet groan.

"Hey, you're awake." A tired voice said quietly and she felt a big, warm hand on top of hers.

She quickly spun her head to look at her right and realized the man she had saved from the bullet was sitting in a chair next to her hospital bed.

"What..what are you doing here?" She asked quietly.

"You saved my life." His eyes were pinned at hers and she could see the concern in their depths. "You took the bullet that was meant for me. You didn't think I'd just walk away, did you?!"

"I did what I thought was the right thing to do. And I knew that you'd come around to thank me eventually. But I didn't expect you to sit near my bed for who knows how long and wait for me to wake up. You don't owe me anything."

"How can you even say that?!" He was looking at her with something between shock, confusion and slightest bit of amusement. "I owe you my life."

"You owe your life to God, not me." She insisted tiredly.

Her whole body was aching and she wasn't in a mood for an argument right now. What's more she needed to get out of the hospital. She couldn't let those ignorant people posing as doctors to kill her like they killed her father.

"I have to get out of here. I don't want to stay even a minute longer."

His eyes widened in shock.

"You were shot and went through a life-depending surgery. Surely you know you're not allowed to leave the hospital anytime soon." His voice was soft and comforting as he said that and she noticed the trace of guilt that ran through his face.

"No, I won't just lay here waiting for them to kill me like they.." She trailed off because it still hurt to say it out loud. "..like they killed my father."

She closed her eyes for a moment to compose herself.

"I'm sorry for your father." She heard him whisper quietly. "I lost my mother recently and I know how much it hurts to lose a parent."

They were quiet for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry for your mother. But if you understand my pain you shouldn't stop me from leaving. So..are you going to help me out of here or not?!"

"I've already told you, you can't leave."

"I can and I will. I prefer dying of my wound than lay around and allow them watch me dying."

"Who are they?" He asked confused.

She rolled her eyes, motioning to the door.

"Those ignorant people out there." When she saw he lifted his eyebrows in question, she sighed. "The doctors."

Now his confusion grew even more.

"But why do you say they killed your father? Doctors have given a vow to save lives, not take them away."

"Yeah, well, I guess that vow means nothing to them."

"Don't talk like that."

"But it's true."

She hated having this conversation over and over again with everyone who considered doctors as great healers.

"They watched my father getting weaker every day and they didn't do anything to help him. They let him die not being able to even figure out what was wrong with him."

She closed her eyes to prevent the tears that filled her eyes from spilling. He didn't say anything giving her the opportunity to compose herself.