21 · The Innovation of What's and Why's

Start from the beginning

I nodded. 

Joshua's voice became more assertive as he revealed, "I couldn't do it anymore — not being friends with you — I couldn't go on ignoring you like that. I remembered what happened on Saturday, and I, well, I didn't mean what I said on Monday. The moron in me took over. I'm really sorry, Olivia. I really am." 

Even though the cold shoulder from Joshua pestered my mind for five long days, I accepted his apology. The way Joshua was trying his hardest to genuinely apologize made me jittery. On top of that, leaving him outside in the rain for a while was harsh enough. 

More than anything, I was just glad that Joshua came back. 

"Having someone to talk to already makes me happy," I reminded with a faint smile, "we're okay, Joshua." 

"You're still Nurse Sandpaper, and I'm still Smiley Idiot?" 

"Never knew it changed in the first place," I returned before referencing the shirt he was wearing. 

When Joshua grinned back in reply, I couldn't resist back ask, "Those... other problems you mentioned on Monday, what did you mean?" 

"Problems?" He repeated unsurely before the reminder seemed to have clicked. Joshua's eyes roamed across the kitchen before he replied, "It's nothing to worry about. I dealt with them already." 

"You sure?"  

"Yeah." 

I asked for assurance, "So, nothing is bothering you?" 

Joshua gave me a sideways grin and nodded. "Yes, Olivia. Nothing is bothering me." 

Despite the rain causing the house to be dark and cold, it became warmer with Joshua here. When I suggested that we sit, the two of us occupied the black leather sofa in the family room. The touch of leather was chilly, but in due time, it didn't bother me. 

Turning my attention to Joshua, I mentioned, "I really like donuts by the way, the powdery kind with strawberry jelly and the cake one." 

A confused grin surfaced as Joshua raised his eyebrows. 

Before he even got to question my burst of random facts, I clarified, "You said that you felt like Drew knew a lot about me, right? Well, I don't really think so. Now, you know too." 

"That's his thing for you though." 

Placing my hands on my hips, I countered, "So? What's your favorite food?" 

"Probably pizza. I could eat a large by myself." 

"I challenge you to that." 

"You're on." Joshua didn't appear very threatened though. "What kind of movies do you like?" 

I answered with no hesitation, "Just about anything. I think Disney movies are great." 

Once Joshua agreed, I stared at him in doubt.  

Joshua straightened the way he was sitting before returning a questioning look back. Thinking about Joshua and Disney was an odd combination. 

He reasoned, "You act like I don't have three younger siblings." 

"Fair enough. Do you have a favorite Disney movie?" 

"I do. It's that Pixar film, Up," Joshua then noted, "And, I know it's not a Disney made animation, but it's still distributed by them." 

A little surprised, I thought Joshua would say something like The Lion King or Aladdin. It wasn't a bad kind of surprise though. Up was one of the most heartwarming tales I had ever watched.