Part 5

Moonlight fills the area, as bright as daylight but without the harsh quality brought by the sun. The breeze-blown surface of the water has a luminary quality, as of melted, rippling diamonds. Earlier Kolton announced his plans to bathe in the Midnight Pool, at the base of the small waterfall. He invited Caiti to join him, almost teasingly, but she declined. When he walked away a slight blush colored her face.

From a perch in the trees, I have an uninterrupted view of Kolton under the cascade of water. His head is back, eyes closed, water splashing onto his face and sluicing down his chest in rivulets. The droplets glow, as if simply touching his sun-bronzed skin has hardened the liquid back into gems.

I shift my eyes to Caiti's trailer. The blinds of the trailer are half-open. The interior dark. Is she standing there, in the shadows, watching him in the moonlight? Is she a thief, stealing glances?

Is she a thief if he actually wants her to see?

Then what am I? My thoughts grow flustered and disturbed. He did not intend for me to watch. I float down from my perch and enter the trailer, diffusing a bit to pass through the walls.

Caiti stands a small distance back from the window, looking out toward the Midnight Pool. I can see a vein in her neck pounding. Her pulse is rapid. Her lips part. She moves toward the door.

I force myself to leave.

#

The Ancestors call to me, and I cannot refuse the summons. I ignore the trap-laden tunnels and simply diffuse and sink through the earth. I rematerialize as I enter the Stone Room. The cool air has a heavy odor of mildew. Water drips from the ceiling. Crystallized calcite covers the walls and reflects the multi-colored lights from the altar. The lights shine so bright they would blind a mortal. To me, and to Sekou who loyally trails a few steps behind, they are only irritating.

I enter the chamber and kneel before the Three Altar Stones. The spirits of the Ancestors flash within them, communicating their displeasure.

"You must destroy the intruders." At first they speak with one voice, and it is almost deafening. I wonder if the archeologists are close enough to hear.

"They are not thieves." I look around the room, almost pleading. "They have not taken anything of value."

The Red Stone flashes. "Those intruders do not worship us. No sacrifices have been offered."

"We need to preserve the Temple for the people." The Green Stone pulls my attention with a quick burst of light.

"The Temple is not in danger. The archaeologists work every day clearing the debris of centuries. They sweep the floors and cut back the plants encroaching on the holy sites. They are bringing knowledge of our way of life to the rest of the world," I argue.

The Red Stone flashes brighter. "They look for treasure! When they find it they will loot and destroy. We must preserve the treasure for the people."

I am amazed at this comment. They speak as if their primary concern is the welfare of the people. "The people are all dead. Who are you preserving this treasure for if they are all rotting in the ground?"

"You are just a girl and do not understand."

"You are the Guardian. The Temple must be protected. The treasures must be preserved."

"Why?"

The Yellow Stone lights from within. "It is as it has always been. The people will come again, looking for our wisdom. They will worship us. They will bring new treasures and new sacrifices. Until then we preserve the Temple and our treasures." 

"You will obey."The Red Stone flashes.

"Obey!" The other two echo.

Their greed and cruelty strike me like a physical blow. I did not see this before. Why has it taken me so long to recognize this?

"No."

Colored streams of light fly from the stones, coil around my body, and burn with a malevolent fire. Where they touch my body a growing, palpable emptiness spreads. My strength melts away.

Sekou jumps from the shadows and lands on my chest. "Eshe!" he screams, striking my face with his paw. "Diffuse! They cannot hurt you if you are not solid."

I take his advice. The relief is immediate, and blissful.

The ancestors shriek in rage. The lights pulse faster and brighter.

"Thieves! Thieves!" They seek to brand us with their false words. 

But how much have they taken? How much will they take in the future if people worship them again? I climb to my feet. I cannot let this theft continue.

"They must be stopped. No more sacrifices. No more stolen lives." I turn to Sekou. "This may end our existence as well, my friend."

"I know." He catches my eyes with his green-gold gaze.

I pick up Sekou and press my forehead to his. We stay this way for a long moment, quietly saying goodbye. I place him on my shoulder.

The earth shakes at my command, crumbling the altar. The Stones wobble for a moment, as if trying to flee. Sulfur boils from the ground and dissolves the limestone. It buckles. The Ancestors' shrieks fill the air. Fireballs fly from my hands, hitting the Stones, splitting the blocks, and melting them into nothingness.