Part 1

"They did not approach like thieves," I inform my friend, Sekou, "so I did not kill them."

"You did not used to be so ... discriminating in your actions." Sekou studies his paw, evaluating its cleanliness. If Feline Spirits have one remaining mortal weakness, it's the need to continue grooming their fur even after death has made this a pointless activity.

"I am aware." I sit down next to the stone bench where Sekou currently stretches out, taking his morning sunbath. Incorporeal or not, sometimes getting off my feet feels good. But I would never dream of sitting on the bench. He has a hundred years of prior claim to that particular spot.

"Eshe, I am concerned for you." He catches my eyes with his green-gold gaze. "If the Ancestors believe that you no longer care about guarding the Temple ..."

"Before the strangers arrived I hadn't seen another one of my kind in hundreds of years." I drop my eyes from his to stare at my hands clasped in my lap.

"So these strangers did not approach as thieves?" Sekou's tail flicks back and forth, stroking my hair. His favorite way to comfort me.

"They approached respectfully," I tell him. "They came with the officials and talked about doing a 'thorough field analysis' and a 'catalog of artifacts.' They have set up small, metal homes they call 'trailers' near the Midnight Pool."

"Do you know what that means?"

I frown. "No, but thieves do not consort with officials, or bring their homes with them while plundering."

"Hmmm ..."

"They call themselves archaeologists," I add.

"Do you believe them?"

"I do not know. I think it will take much investigation ..."

"Where you will observe them closely," he interrupts. A sly glint twinkles in his eyes.  

#

Trees, mists, flowers, and stones; other than Sekou, these have been my companions for hundreds of years. My role as the Guardian binds me directly to the Temple itself. I cannot fade away and I cannot leave. The Ancestors have claim to my spirit.

The three archeologists are new, different, and I find observing them stimulating. I watch them while they sleep, while they eat, and follow them as they explore the main Temple and the antechambers in the immediate area. I like the feeling of having people around me busily engaged.

"These limestone walls are remarkably intact," the woman states. She and the younger man are exploring the western Temple grounds where building ruins dotted the landscape. She seems to be in charge; perhaps of a higher caste than the men. It is difficult for me to work out the social dynamic. I have never seen a woman in charge of men.

"There are several pieces of broken pottery in this corner." The young man kneels by some clay shards. "I will sketch this out later."

"Good idea, Alex. We need to document this before proceeding. Photograph it too."

The third member of the team approaches from the direction of their trailers, carrying digging tools, brushes, stakes, and string.

"Kolton, come and see!" The woman waves him over. "Alex has already found a few pottery shards. This looks like a good area to lay out a grid and start excavating."

"Looks promising, Caiti." He grins. "Do you think this was a storage room of some sort?"

"Or a refuse dump. Either way it can provide a lot of information about the inhabitants of the region."

"Eshe!"

I tear my attention from the archaeologists and run to where Sekou sits at the edge of the western ruins.

"The Ancestors are stirring. They must sense the outsiders."

I wave my hand toward the trio. "They dig among ancient garbage. Even when the Ancestors were alive and ruled this place, they let the poor root among the leavings of the Temple. It is the only way some people could find enough food to survive."

"The Ancestors still rule here, Eshe, and the food is long gone. They will not like outsiders taking items away."

"Surely I do not need to guard broken pots and discarded waste?" I bite my lip. "They cannot expect this of me!"

Sekou drops his head. "I do not know what they expect. It is out of my sphere of knowledge. I am sorry, my friend."

I kneel down next to him, hugging his soft body. He presses his muzzle into my neck, right below my chin.

From this spot among the ruins I have a clear view of the valley beyond the trees, a place where I cannot venture because I'm tied to the Temple. The meadow teems with new spring growth, the light colored greens reaching toward the sunlight. The day is magnificent, with a blue sky and a soft breeze. My heart aches.

"I need to guard the Temple against thieves. The three archaeologists have not taken anything of worth to the Ancestors. They have not damaged the Temple. They are not thieves."

"I hope the Ancestors will see them as you do."

I hug him tighter.