[02]

Chapter Two:
Apologies

Chapter Two:Apologies

•••

THAT MORNING AT breakfast, Jessie sat down with Lily Evans. She didn't want to make things worse with her friends and a cool down was one hundred percent necessary on her part. Jessie couldn't quite pick out why Sirius had been so rude. She tried to think of something she had done, but the only thing that made sense was what Remus said last night.

They all worried about her. Sirius knew her time was running out in terms of her freedom from Regulus and she was pushing her own luck with being disowned.

She did recall that she had snapped at him, too. He deserved a fair apology. But then again, so did she. Her cousin would get his apology once Jessie cooled down.

So, Jessie spent the morning glumly pushing around her food on her plate. Lily ate quietly, knowing when and when not to push with Jessica Black. It was common knowledge that Jessie was most similar to Andromeda, but possessed Bellatrix's temper. It was best not to bother her about it, or ask what was wrong.

Besides, Lily was busy glancing down the table at James. She decided to bring up a different subject, though talking to her Jessie at all, right now, was risky.

"Has James been feeling all right? He hasn't harassed me since last spring." Lily wondered, head resting in her hand.

"I thought he was an arrogant toerag? Don't tell me your catching feelings for him. He may be one of my best friends, but he is a bit of a toerag. Whatever that might mean," Jessie mused, looking up at her.

Lily shook her head quickly. "No, no. God, no! But he just hasn't bothered me in months. It's a bit concerning. Like if Peeves decided to behave all of the sudden, it would be odd, wouldn't it?"

Jessie considered it for a moment. Now that she thought of it, James had stopped pestering Lily. There was no more scheming plans to get Lily to go on a date with him.

She glanced down the table to where her friends were all talking and laughing. Peter caught her eye and waved causing the other three boys to turn toward Lily and Jessie.

Jessie held each of their stares for a moment before turning back to Lily. "I will talk to James. Because now I'm concerned," she laughed softly.  

The boy in question turned his attention back to the food on his plate as Sirius continued his story. He seemed to be in no rush to apologize to his cousin, which was aggravating. The two couldn't stay mad long, James knew that Jessie was too kind for that.

Sirius on the other hand, could hold this grudge all year and never once forget what it was specifically about.

James shoveled some eggs into his mouth as Remus spoke: "You should get Jessie to talk to Lily for you! They are roommates you know?"