"The Heart in the Midst"

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Sec for speaking about it. Matagal na niyang bn-bring up yang topic on revolutionary government at palagi nalang din akong nadadamay. Mas may lakas ng loob ka pa ngang i-excuse ako kesa sa sarili ko," I tell him and it is his turn to laugh.

"It is better you don't because if you do, baka balikan ka ng mga political opponents mo if ever something happens. Tama naman na you just emphasize that while you are ready, you do not have any plans to replace him."

"Oo nga po e, inevitable talaga because I am next in line, pero Sec, matanong ko lang, bakit mo naman naisip na i-excuse ako?" I asked him curiously.

He just looked at me.

--

Jesse PoV

Villa Caceres, Naga City

I cannot tell her.

I look at her beautiful eyes and I know I cannot drag her further into this. I cannot tell her that she is being used as a campaign strategy. I suddenly felt a sharp pang on my chest.

"While I am the President's alter-ego on local governance and should agree to most of his stands or policies, I do not agree that he have to drag you to make a point," I tell her.

She laughed.

She looked at me sweetly I almost died (again). "Thank you Sec, but if you know, he would always drag my name to anything whenever he wants to."

"Is that okay with you?"

She smiled weakly, shaking her head as she look down on her hands. "Of course not, but again, it is inevitable. I told him that before, to not think too much of me but it seems he can't help it," She looked at me, her eyes twinkling, letting out a small laugh.

I forced a smile. Another sharp pang on my chest.

"It looks like it - we can't control his amusement for you and I really can't do anything about that." I told her and mean it.

"I learned to manage, Sec." She started, looking far away. "As second in line, I would sometimes think, "What would the President do," during certain situations and most of the time, I would have an answer but not on all things - meaning, his job is harder than I, we, thought, so if he wants to burst out using me as an excuse, I let it be and just pray for him." She finished, smiling at me.

I've never felt regret as much as I am feeling it right now. I lean towards her to give her a peck on the lips and when our lips touch, she giggled.

"Cute mo ma'am," I tell her.

"I haven't figured out why whenever you engage with me in any form, I do not hesitate to engage back," She tell me and we laughed.

"There must be something more than meets the eye," I tell her.

"You think so, Sec?"

"I know so," I teased her and she laughed louder.

She looked at me in the eye (I'm still wearing shades though), touched my face and smiled sympathetically.

"You remind me of someone,"

I gulped.

"Who?"

"My husband,"

--

Leni PoV

He always felt like Jesse but I never tried to question why.

We were quiet for a while when he held my hands. I looked at him.

"I will always be here for you, Leni, even if I have to go head to head with the President."