"What secret do you hide in that heart of yours? Why won't you tell me?" he demanded, knowing she couldn't hear him.

Before he knew it, he was fast asleep. He didn't dream that night, the way he usually did. For the object of his dreams lay in his arms, close to him.

The next morning.

"You slept well, I hope?" she heard Ralph's pleasing baritone as she pried her eyes open against the bright light.

Alice nodded, confused.

She closed her eyes again, the events of the previous night coming back to her.

She looked down to see herself clad only in her chemise.

Goodness gracious! She'd acted like a wanton.

"It's alright, Alice," Ralph murmured, concern clouding his eyes as he saw her panicked expression.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," she murmured, covering herself as best as she could with his coat.

"Wine," he chuckled. "And you have nothing to apologise for," he added.

"My behaviour was beyond reprehensible! What exactly happened?" she groaned.

"Nothing happened," he said assuringly.

She nodded jerkily, believing him. Ralph wouldn't lie about something like this. And she wanted to forget about this, it was just too embarrassing.

"I wish to dress," she said, her voice barely audible.

Ralph fetched her gown. He turned away while she dawned it. She cleared her throat, she couldn't button it up herself.

"I'm sorry," she said again as he began buttoning her gown deftly.

"Alice, please. And I'm enjoying playing your ladies maid," he teased.

Alice purses her lips, trying not to smile.

"Maybe I should've considered applying for that position instead of spying. It certainly seems more...rewarding, although it's quite a lot of work," he was muttering and Alice finally laughed, unable to hold in her amusement. She couldn't picture this handsome spy as a ladies maid, it was too ludicrous.

"That's better," he grinned.

"Are we leaving now?" she asked, turning to face him.

To face the music.

"Yes, if you're ready."

"I'm as ready as I can be," she shrugged, drinking from the pitcher of water.

"What will you say to your parents?" Ralph asked as their hired hack rolled down to a stop near Alice's home.

"That I stayed with Rosalyn," she said.

"Will you be alright?"

"Yes, Ralph," she said, kissing his cheek as she got down. She ran into her house, not daring to look at him.

She went to her rooms directly, wanting to bathe first while Cook prepared her breakfast. She was starving. Thankfully, her parents had not been suspicious.

She sank into the tub of hot water, her mind straying to a man.

Ralph.

And then, something happened. She realised something. It wasn't impulsive and brash like her decisions always were. It came in calm waves, the answer to a question she hadn't known she'd had.

Everything fit like the pieces of a puzzle and she wasn't confused anymore, the way she usually was.

She knew.

She didn't jump, she didn't scream. She just sat back and closed her eyes. A pleased smile curved her lips.

She was in love.