Part 19: An Auction and an Old Friend

Start from the beginning

"Technically Rafe killed a guard, but I get what you mean," I say, before looking at him, "so, what happened?"

"Listen carefully, because this is the story of how I got out of prison..." Sam trails off and explains the jail break and the deal with Alcázar.

"This is bad," Nate murmurs, and I nod.

"No, we just pick up the trail where we left off and-" Sam says, and his younger brother cuts him off.

"Trail? Sam, there is no trail. After Rafe, [Name], and I escaped, he took his parents' fortune and bought all the land around the Saint Dismas cathedral. We combed that place for weeks. Avery's treasure isn't there," Nate says, and I sigh.

"That never stopped Rafe though. I left a couple months after Nate did because Rafe... he- he was so obsessed with the treasure. He even pushed me away," I whisper the last part, but the guys still hear it.

"Surprises me he pushed you away. Nate and I thought he treasured you, no pun intended," Sam says, and I laugh dryly and snatch the cigarette from his lips, taking a drag of it.

"Then I guess I just lost my worth," I mutter and toss the cancer stick onto the dock, stomping it out and looking at the older Drake. "That shit's disgusting, you really should quit before it kills you."

"You're going to start scolding me now about smoking? Father Duffy rubbed off on you."

I sigh and shake my head. "Just tell us how you plan on finding Avery's treasure."

"That's the interesting part. Do you want to what's amazing?" Sam asks and Harry walks over and joins us.

"What, mate?" Flynn questions.

"What you can find on the internet these days," Sam chuckles, and pulls out a piece of paper, unfolding it and looking down at it before showing it to us, "I bet you Rafe doesn't have this."

The paper has an image of an intact Saint Dismas cross on it- an exact replica of the one we found fifteen years ago. "It's just the Saint Dismas cross," Nate shrugs, and I shake my head with a small grin.

"No. Look closely and you'll see this one's still intact. If Avery made a replica of the cross we found which was hollow..." I trail off and laugh slightly.

"Then this one is bound to have whatever was inside the other cross you three found," Harry says, and Nate's eyes widen.

"Well, all right. Where is this?" Nate asks his brother.

Sam chuckles slightly and points at the cross, "Oh, this exquisite piece is going up for auction in three days at the Rossi Estate."

"The Rossi Estate?" Nate gives his brother a knowing look.

"Oh, you know it?" Sam asks, and his brother nods.

"Uh, yeah. How do you plan on securing an invite to an exclusive, heavily guarded black market auction?"

A small smirk dawns on Sam's face, one I know all to well. "Sam, sneaking in is a terrible idea," I say while face-palming.

"Plus- that can't be cheap, Sam. Where are you getting all the bloody money for it?" Harry asks the older Drake brother.

"Harry and I could combine all our money in our bank accounts and it still wouldn't be enough to..." Nate trails off, realizing a few seconds later what his brother plans to do.