Ironically, I was now in the best position to carry out his ridiculous plan. Nate had completely let down his guard around him. If I actually wanted to kill him, he'd never see it coming. I'd never get away with it, but that wouldn't matter to Rowan. My life would be a necessary sacrifice for his cause. That was what he'd asked of me, he'd called me selfish when I refused.

I heard the crunching of gravel as someone came towards me. I turned, expecting to see Travis walking up to enjoy the scenic view. Instead, I found myself looking at the last person I expected to see. Rowan stood in front of me, as if my thoughts conjured him out of thin air.

"Avery," he said quietly, his dark eyes stern and somber.

"Hi Rowan," I stammered. My eyes darted towards Travis, who stood outside his car, watching our interaction closely. His right hand hovered over the gun holstered at his hip. I gave him a tentative thumbs-up to show that I wasn't in danger.

Rowan glanced back at him as well, eyebrows raised. "You've got bodyguards now?"

"It kind of comes with the territory," I replied.

"So you won." His voice was flat and void of surprise.

I shrugged awkwardly. "Not exactly, but I am with the king now."

I half expected him to sneer and insult me, but he simply shoved his hands into the pocket of his gray sweatshirt and looked down at his feet. "So how long until you become one of them?"

I sighed. It was a loaded question. and I didn't have an answer for anyone, let alone him. Besides, it wasn't his business. It stopped being his business when he threw me out of his life.

"I'm not some immortal-wannabe gold digger," I said, crossing my arms. "We're just two people who care about one another, trying to figure things out one day at a time. Like everyone else."

Rowan nodded, but I could tell from his guarded expression that he didn't believe me. "So it's not that serious? Your relationship, I mean."

I balked. "Of course it's serious!"

"Then how do you plan to make it work?"

I grit my teeth. That wasn't any of his concern. But a nagging voice in the back of my head told me he was right. Turning into a vampire was the only way to make things work between Nate and me. It was the only way for us to truly be on equal footing. If I remained human, he'd always desire my blood. And I would age and die while he remained forever unchanging. That was the unfortunate reality of our union. Either I changed, or we didn't stay together.

I didn't want either of those two options. But I didn't dare voice my thoughts out loud.

Instead, I opted to change the subject. "So where've you been off to all this time?" I'd feared Rowan had gotten tangled up int he rebellion, but him being back in town was probably a good sign.

He scratched his head, looking off into the distance. "I got a new job out of town, so I had to move."

I had to admit, it pleased me to hear that. Whatever his new job was clearly paid more than the construction gig he used to have, or he wouldn't have taken it. Maybe his family could have a little peace of mind with the extra income. I didn't doubt he still supported his mom and sisters, like always. For all his faults, he always loved his family.

"That must be exciting," I said. "What do you do now?"

Before Rowan could answer, I heard the unmistakable sound of a bullet tearing through the air. It was the same high pitched pop with a supersonic echo, like what preceded Nate's fall aboard the Empress. Panicked, I turned to see Travis slump to the ground, a bloody crater in the back of his head.

I screamed.

A figure moved in the distance. In the rocky field on the other side of the road, on top of a cluster of boulders, was a man dressed in all black. He stood with his rifle in his arms, looking straight at me.

My eyes shot back to Travis's still form. He was supposed to protect me. He was supposed to prevent this from happening, but he was dead. I stumbled backward, my back hitting the railing painfully. The water crashes against the rocks below. There was nowhere to run. Nowhere to go but down.

Then I saw the keys. They'd fallen out of Travis's hand and now lay discarded next to his body. They were only a few yards away. I could make it. I could take the keys, get into the rental, and drive away to safety. I didn't know how to drive, but how hard could it be?

I glanced briefly at Rowan. He might know, somehow. We could escape together. I didn't want him to get killed on my account.

"Listen, I'm going for the keys. Follow me," I said, right as the sniper took aim.

My heart leaped into my chest as I lunged. But I didn't get far. Rowan seized my arm and pulled me back, crushing me against his chest.

"What are you doing? He's gonna kill us!" I cried out, struggling against his grip. He was able to hold me back with just one arm. I didn't remember him being this strong.

"I'm sorry, Avery," he whispered in my ear. The words were like sandpaper against my skin.

Before I could fully comprehend what he meant, I felt a painful jab in the side of my neck. Rowan had stuck a needle into me.

"You bastard," was all I had time to say before my vision grew hazy and I fell limp into his arms.