An Unpleasant Surprise

Albus had been shocked when the boy fainted. Horace had been talking to him, slightly too vehemently, and then he had fallen out of his chair when he turned away. He, Minerva and Poppy immediately rushed to the Slytherin's side and Albus conjured a stretcher to transport him to the Hospital Wing. 

Horace simply sat there, stunned, and the others, both students and teachers, paused momentarily in their consuming of the edible goods before then resuming their conversations, perhaps more excited than before.

*

Once Severus was settled on a bed, Poppy cast a diagnosis charm. Immediately she gasped and clapped a hand to her mouth, tears already welling in her eyes.

"Poppy! Poppy, what's wrong!" Minerva asked quickly, concerned.

In response, Poppy gently turned the boy over and lifted up his shirt. His back was covered in scars, white and ugly and jagged.

Albus gasped and Minerva uttered a short scream.

"What could have done this?" He questioned, frowning.

"We'll have to ask him," Poppy answered grimly. "He's also extremely malnourished and his immune system is extremely weak. His bones are very brittle; they've been broken many times."

Minerva swayed and Albus conjured a chair to quickly push her onto. "What if, what if_?" Minerva couldn't finish her sentence.

"I dearly hope not," Poppy replied to the professor's unspoken question.

"What?" Albus demanded, confused. "What is it?"

Both women glanced at him and looked away quickly.

Poppy explained slowly. "Not all students come from decent homes. There have been some students over the years, though very few, that have come from poor homes. I have never seen it on this level before but some have come from abusive families."

Dumbledore's mouth formed an 'o'.

Suddenly the boy stirred. Minerva immediately stood and both she and Albus moved away while Poppy approached her patient.

"Mr. Snape?" She asked gently, putting a hand on his shoulder. 

In his sleep, the Slytherin jerked away and began muttering incoherently. Poppy leaned closer to hear.

"Don't call me that," Severus murmured feverishly. "That's... my father. I'm Severus. I won't be like him. I won't! I WON'T!" 

And instantly he sat up, now wide awake, and wide-eyed at seeing all three of them there. He edged backwards until his back hit the headboard and then he remained there, shaking in fear.

"Severus?" Asked Poppy kindly. "You're fine, dear, you're safe. Nobody's here to hurt you."

The boy merely stared up at there with terror in his eyes. 

"No... no... Slughorn..." 

He quivered.

Albus frowned. What had Horace done? He moved forward.

"Severus?" The young Slytherin flinched. Clearly he was uncomfortable around men. "Has Professor Slughorn done anything... untoward?"

Severus shook his head.

"Nothing?" Albus pressed. "But you sounded... frightened."

There was venom in the boy's eyes now. 

"Unless you count him declaring to make my life more of a hell than it already is. Which I don't," he added hastily. "It's not a big deal compared to everything else," he muttered.

"Severus," Minerva spoke for the first time. "You must tell us, so that we can help you. However you must trust us. I know that is hard to do," she murmured, seeing his stricken face, "but we are here for you. That is what we are there for."

"Alright," he spat, covering his fear with contempt. "I'll tell you. But only... you."

He pointed one long finger. Surprisingly, none of them admonished him for his rudeness. Albus was stunned. Poppy was slightly hurt, her matronly sense being pushed aside. And Minerva... 

Minerva was, frankly, flattered. Here was a boy who had been abused; she understood why he had brushed aside Albus, but to ignore Poppy as well... Minerva hoped that there was some quality about her that the boy recognised and drew comfort in. 

As it happened, she was right. Only, she wouldn't find out for quite some time. Then, and only then, would Severus tell her and she would blush with happiness, and feel something akin to fellowship. But, for now, they had trust.