IV. Holly Fish Nuggets!

(Unedited)

[ Chapter F O U R ]

That afternoon I decided to text Dexter and ask him to make plans for a meetup and start working on our project.

Hey! We need to start working on our project. When are you available? -Sam

I erased that.

You free this weekend to work on the project? -Sam

No...

Meet me at the library this Saturday at 10.

Can you?

Please? -Sam

ARGH! Why was this so hard!!

Meet me at the town's library this Saturday at 10 o'clock sharp! Oh, and come alone. -Sam

Now, that sounded more like I wanted to meet him to collect ransom money rather than study. I don't even know why I wrote that. Frustrated, I aimed for the backspace button but ended up pressing send.

I sometimes shocked myself at how talented I am...

Great... just great. Now the Dexter Everett would think that I wasn't just creepy but also a high school student by day and a kidnapper, who collected ransoms, by night.

Not that I cared.

How much money should I bring with? -Dexter

His reply came almost instantly. Was he joking? That couldn't be... but the text was there. Last I heard, Dexter was not a joker. How do I even react to that? I mean that joke, if we could even call it that, sucked.

Bring however much you think is enough. Or else you're putting your grade in jeopardy. -Sam

I decided to go along with it. But unfortunately, it was a bad idea.

Don't you fucking dare mess with my grade. I need to get a good one in order to pass. -Dexter

Well, he was pissed again.

Oh, joy!

That makes two of us. I typed but I didn't send it. He didn't need to know that I'm already failing history, like a lot of my other classes.

Just because I was the quiet girl who didn't socialise with every fucking student at school, I was automatically put in the 'nerd' category. But I was far from that. I didn't have excellent grades and I wasn't a teacher's pet, they actually couldn't stand me usually. And I most certainly was not afraid of giving someone who pissed me off a piece of my mind.

I decided to just ignore his text and prepared to go to bed.

"Good night, I'm going to sleep!" I shouted from the bottom of the stairs once I was dressed in my pyjamas and my teeth were freshly brushed.

I got a bunch of "nights" from my family members and with that, I went to bed.

Once in it, I wrapped myself up with my duvet and raised both my legs so that the duvet would go under my feet and protect them from the cold, then I tucked it under me from both sides. Once that my cocoon was warmly wrapped around me, I took my arms out from under the duvet and picked up my phone.

You see every day I went to bed at ten and I had 'my time' from then to eleven. At eleven I was supposed shut my phone or laptop or closed my book or whatever it was that I was doing and closed my eyes.

As you can imagine, it never went according to plan.

As soon as I unlocked my phone, a text notification popped up. It was from Dexter.