The Roses

Usually, during meals the soldiers conversed about their lives outside of the war, Elias didn't contribute much. He was a young man of nineteen from South Carolina. He didn't have a wife. He had never been in love. Sometimes he had felt endearment for a companion, but he couldn't seem to grasp the feelings and put them together into something he could understand.

But this morning was different. The feelings had felt stronger while on patrol with his companion last night. His mind wandered to William, while Henry, as usual, bragged about his recent sexual conquests, this one in which he had, against the rules, snuck off base and met up with the wife of a British general.

  When Elias walked outside to return to his tent he spotted a beautiful rose bush outside the mess hall. They were a radiant shade of red; a perfect crimson, each flower: full of gorgeous, silky petals.  The young man reached out to touch one, thinking of how he would leave it on William's desk, for when he went to write.

One of the many reasons Elias admired the man was because of his intelligence. William Thorn could create elegant papers, that could persuade even the most superior of men. Elias reached out to pick one but was pricked by a spike growing from the flower's stems. He watched the blood pouring down from his finger, letting out a  small whimper.  He looked at the roses again and sighed, it looked like he wouldn't be getting a rose after all.

"Indeed, they possess much beauty," William smiled at the shorter male, who jumped not noticing William walk up to him.

William carefully picked a flower; without stabbing himself, and brought it to his own nose, inhaling the delightful fragrance, before handing it to Elias. "Did you acquire an injury, in attempt to obtain this, Rivers?"

"N-No," The young man squeaked, attempting to hide his finger from the twenty-three-year-old, in shame of how easily he was injured.

William simply chuckled and grabbed his hand, causing Elias to smile, blue eyes twinkling above round flush cheeks, as William studied the gash. "Follow me back to my quarters and I shall attend to your wound".  Elias found it impossible to refuse as he was dragged back to the tent belonging to the soldiers; Thorn, Smith, Johnson, Jones, Davis, and Miller.

William reached into the small desk that was shared by the men, pulling out a small piece of pure white linen cloth and a wooden canteen filled with water.

 A smirk appeared on William's face as he poured the cold water onto Elias' injury, causing him to whine and hang his head. "Awww, does cold dam's Ale bother you? However, shall you manage if you attain an affliction in battle?" The taller male teased with boisterous laughter in his eyes.

Elias wore a pout, looking away in a bashful manner, causing William to let out a loud and hearty laugh that caused the smaller man's face to flush again as his finger was wrapped in the cloth. William soon found that he enjoyed teasing the sandy-haired boy and continued by gently kissing the band-aid in the same way a mother would kiss a child's pain away.

William was an intelligent man, he was quick to notice the flushed cheeks that were not well hidden by the curtain of Elias' shoulder-length hair. "Your health has been restored, Rivers. Now, I would like to attend to my quill. To amuse yourself, do you intend to observe me? It is not in necessary to linger. Not in the least, if you have other matters to attend to, my dearest companion".

The younger colonel smiled, "I have no less to do than you. Therefore, I shall spend my leisure in the company of my cherished friend. May it be possible, that I borrow a quill and paper"

"Is your intention to write home; to perhaps a girl maybe?" William asked with curious brown eyes as he handed him a quill and paper, moving the bottle of ink to rest in between the two of them on the desk.

Elias let out a light and feminine laugh- almost a giggle, as he took the materials. "No, Thorn, my dear friend, I have not been as fortunate as others to be introduced to a madam who has captured my affection. It's only appropriate, that I inquire the same information?"

"I was engaged not long ago, however it 'twas fate that she had an affair with a man of greater wealth". A silent nod and sympathetic look was the only response William had received. Once again the men began to rapidly create elegant pieces of text, stopping only to refuel their quills with ink.

Elias had the idea to write a letter to William, he didn't know exactly when he intended to give it to him, but he always found it best to write  down all of his feelings; rather than bottle them up until he has an outburst of emotion, similar to how a volcano erupts after a long period of lava building up.

So, with a goal in mind, Elias began his letter