Chapter 7

Hermione's POV

It's now been 2 weeks since the day that we made front page. The Anniversary ball is in 2 days and I'm starting to freak out because I not only don't have a dress, but I'm also going to see Harry for the first time since his wedding. He'd written me a very concerned letter about Draco and I, but I didn't answer him. It just feels like something to explain in person, and I'm not even sure if I want to tell him the truth or not.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone knocking on my bedroom door.

"Come in!" I called.

Luna Lovegood walked into my room gracefully, with that ever-present wistful look in her eyes.

"Hello Hermione." She said softly.

"Hey Luna, I haven't seen you in a while." I answered. Over the years I'd gotten used to her strangeness, and became good friends with the girl.

"Yes, I've been very busy between working for the Quibbler and spending time with Blaise." She said.

"So.. is there anything you need?" I asked, after a brief moment of silence.

"Well I was wondering if you'd like to go shopping for the Ball with me tomorrow? I haven't gotten my dress yet."

"I'd love to Luna! I haven't gotten mine either. We can meet for lunch in Diagon Alley." I said, excitedly. Normally I hate shopping for dresses, or anything that isn't books, but I've got something planned for the Ball that's going to blow everyone away.

"Great! I'd best be off, see you tomorrow Mione." Luna said happily.

"Bye Luna."

When Luna left I started to flip through some magazines looking for ideas. I need a dress that's going to shock everyone, a dress that will put me on the front page of the Prophet again. Then I realized that I haven't even talked to Draco about the Ball since he'd asked me. Making my way out of my room, I went to find Draco.

He was sitting on the couch filling out what looked to be paperwork.

"Hey Draco." He jumped nearly out of his seat.

"Merlin Hermione, are you trying to give me a heart attack?!" He said, looking scandalized. I couldn't help but giggle, at his face.

"Sorry, I just wanted to talk about the Ball but you look busy, we can talk later."

He immediately started clearing the paper away, and made room on the couch for me. "I'm not too busy, I just finished my Healer training so I'm filling out some last minute paperwork."

I sat down next to him and exclaimed "I didn't know you were training to be a healer! That's great Draco really."

"Yeah well, I've done so much bad in my life that I wanted the chance to help people, and this just felt right." He said sheepishly. I took a moment to look at this boy, really look at him. I saw the tinge of red creeping onto his cheeks, and the nervousness in those steely grey eyes. I've never seen a Malfoy look nervous, but he isn't just a Malfoy. He's Draco, and he's different.

"Well St. Mungos is going to be very lucky to have someone as dedicated as you." I said softly.

The nervousness left his eyes, and he smiled. A real smile, not a smirk or a sneer, and it was beautiful. "Thanks Mione. Now about the Ball, you're coming to tell me that you want me to wear Gryffindor red right?" He groaned.

"No, I want you to wear Slytherin green." I chuckled.

"What? You don't want to wear your house colors? But you're the Gryffindor Princess!" He said, shocked.

"Exactly! I have a plan Draco, just go with it."

"Okay.." he looked suspicious.

"Well I need to go to bed, it's pretty late. Goodnight Draco." I said.

"Goodnight Hermione."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day

I woke up late this morning and had to rush so that I could meet Luna on time. After hurriedly throwing my hair into a messy French braid, I grabbed my purse and apparated to The Leaky Cauldron just in time to see Luna walk through the door. We walked to a booth at the back of the restaurant and sat down.

"Hermione, can I talk to you about something?" Luna asked suddenly.

"Of course Luna."

"Well I like Blaise.. but what if I like someone else?"

"I'm not sure, does this other person like you too?"

"I've kind of liked this boy since Hogwarts, but I don't think he ever felt the same way. He's very kind, and he's different from other guys. But he's in a serious relationship now." She said. She didn't sound sad, just disappointed.

"Maybe you should tell him how you feel, so that you can get it off of your chest and get some closure. Blaise is a really good guy Luna, you're very lucky to have him." I said seriously. Though, I am curious who this other person is.

"That's a good idea Hermione, I think I will." She smiled.

The rest of lunch went by normally, and we eventually went to find a dress shop.

"That one looks nice." Luna exclaimed, pointing in the direction of an expensive looking shop called 'Madame Rose's Dress Emporium.' We walked inside to find rows upon rows of gorgeous dresses that were perfect for the Ball. The dresses were arranged by color, and I knew exactly where I needed to look.

"I'll be in the back corner if you need me!" I yelled to Luna and walked towards the beautiful green dresses.

About an hour later Luna came up to me holding a nude colored dress with red flowers on the front. She looked at me a little curiously before asking "Have you found anything?"

"Yes, I found the perfect dress!" I held out a green dress, with sleeves that hang off the shoulder, a mermaid tail, and showed enough cleavage to be risqué and classy at the same time.

"You'll look great in that Mione!" Luna exclaimed, still looking a little surprised at my choice.

"Thanks Luna, let's go pay!" I said excitedly. Well I was excited, until I saw the price. Honestly I'm never spending this much money on an article of clothing ever again!