Chapter 19: A Proposal and A Proposition

Depuis le début

"Son, I'm sorry -" Arthur began.

"No, Dad, don't. I don't want to hear it. The more you say it, the less it means...Let's just go."

oOoOo

Meanwhile, Percy led an unsuspecting Audrey to the ornate fountain in the middle of Trafalgar Square.

So far, everything had gone according to plan. After making sure he was impeccably dressed, Percy picked up Audrey and the evening started off with a stroll around Hyde Park. Next, he took his girlfriend of nearly two years to the luxurious Italian restaurant where they had their first date. Now, the bespectacled young man would pop the question in the beautifully lit square.

Upon finding a vacant spot on the edge of the fountain, Percy gestured for Audrey to sit down. Taking a knee, he pulled out a ring box with shaking hands. It wasn't until now that he noticed how light-headed he was.

Percy had a long, sweet speech prepared, but in the moment all he could manage was, "A=Audrey, will you m-marry me?"

It turned out that he didn't need a speech at all. Through happy tears, Audrey nodded her head and answered, "Yes, of course!"

Percy's lips met Audrey's as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

oOoOo

Upon George and Arthur's entrance, Molly rose quickly. "Oh. This is low, blindsiding me like this," she spat. She had not expected her son to come back with Arthur. The odd behavior and evasive answers he had been giving her that evening caused her to think he wanted her to meet a girl. "What? Have you finally realized how foolish you've been? Now I suppose you want me to forgive you and trust you again, just like that, after everything you've done."

George's hand caught his father's arm as Arthur turned to leave. "I'm sorry, George, but I don't have to put up with this."

"Dad, I need you...please," George whispered.

Letting out a deep breath, Arthur faced his wife once again. "I'm not here to talk about you, or me, or us. I'm only here for my kids."

"Oh. They're your kids now, are they? As I recall, the other night they were my kids," Molly shot back.

Glaring at the short redhead, Arthur took a step forward. "I know what I said, but seeing as they've all taken sides anyway, we might as well go along with it. Bill and Percy are the only ones who have been mature about this and remained neutral."

"Fine, go ahead then. What is it about George and Ginny you'd like to discuss?"

Gesturing toward the table, George suggested, "Why don't we all take a seat first, shall we?"

As Molly and Arthur took seats on opposite sides of the table, Arthur continued, "I'll let George start it off."

Before he could pluck up the courage to make his proposition, George glanced nervously between his parents.

Placing her hand on her son's, Molly spoke softly, "What is it, George? You know you can always talk to me about anything."

"I know...Mum, I wasn't completely honest with you this morning." Molly raised an eyebrow, but let her son continue. "It's been difficult, adjusting to living by myself."

Now his mother interrupted. "I told you, you are welcome to move back home."

"I know. But I have to get back on my own two feet at some point, so I'm not moving back." George only told one of the reasons he wouldn't go back to the Burrow. The other reason would break his mother's heart, he knew. "This afternoon I talked to Dad and he doesn't see any issues with it, but it's ultimately your decision...Can Ginny move in with me?" he finished in a rush.