03.

breathless.

03. home, in another universe

     Foster sighed and leaned back against the brick wall, taking a sip from her thermos

     Foster sighed and leaned back against the brick wall, taking a sip from her thermos. She didn't want anyone around her and sitting in "Junkie's Corner" was her only place for an escape. Everyone there seemed to need an escape, whether they found in drugs or alcohol, it didn't matter. In this small corner, she was allowed to brood as much as she wanted, albeit she was doing in sober while mostly all of the teens around her took pills or took sips from their poorly concealed flasks. Foster wondered what they were feeling so much that they would have to push it down with narcotics. Her thoughts wandered to the nights she would sneak a bottle from her father's study and she and Katherine would drink until the sun came up. She drank to try to escape her father's voice inside her head, and Foster felt an ache in her heart for those in this corner doing narcotics for the same reason.

Foster hadn't notice her eyes had closed until she opened them and the sunlight blinded her. Twisting the ring on her finger, she stood, sending a small wave to Elena's brother as she walked away.

She hadn't spoken to Elena or anyone since the night of the comet, she'd done a decent job of avoiding everything. Honestly, what Foster wanted now was to move on. Earlier, before school started, she'd managed to get Elena's records from the courthouse, she sifted through them and left the files on Stefan's desk. She saw her brother talking to Elena and her jaw clenched but she swallowed down whatever she was feeling. In a few days, Foster probably won't be in Mystic Falls so it shouldn't matter. Foster hated that it still did.

With the grass crunching under her boots, both Stefan and Elena heard her coming and looked at her when Foster stopped in front of them. "Stefan," she said curtly, and ticked her head to the side. Understanding, he smiled lightly to Elena, who was frowning at Foster's retreating figure, and followed her.

"Did you read the files?" Foster asked once they were out of earshot. Stefan nodded. "So that's it. I helped you, I'm done."

"You can't really be thinking about leaving with Damon still here."

"So I should stay so I can be my older brother's baby sitter. Or, even better, I can be referee for the two or your pissing contest. No. There's not a good enough reason for me to be here anymore." Stefan noticed her eyes peek in Elena's direction.

"Just stay for the next few days," Stefan said, pleading with her. "Damon has some plan that he's not telling me about, maybe you could get something out of him."

"We all have secrets, Stefan." Foster's eyes clouded over. "Something's maybe you don't need to know."

She walked away, leaving Stefan alone, and not knowing that Elena was listening to the last of their conversation.