Chapter 16

DISCLAIMER: I don't own this fanfic, I'm just the editor republishing it with permission of the author.

"What?" Oscar asked, confused.

Okay Olive, be strong.

"Ms. O and Otto, they set us up. They're trying to get us back together, that's why we're dressed as the main couple from arguably the most well-known movie set in the 1950s of all time."

Oscar's eyes grew wide and his mouth gaped. "I knew liquid nitrogen and toothpaste couldn't catch fire!"

"What does that have to do with—?" She stopped and held her hands up. "You know what, never mind."

Suddenly the lights dimmed and "All I Have to Do is Dream" began to play. Oscar searched the ceiling for the source of the sound. "They're still watching us, aren't they?"

Olive sighed and forced a smile. "I'm sure they mean well."

"B-But we're still not ready to get together again, right?"

Keep it together, Olive. Don't let the music and the lighting and how adorable he looks with his hair like that and...

She shook her head, trying to drive away the thoughts. "Not...not yet. I—" she cleared her throat "—um, I told Otto I'd meet him at the milkshake bar, so I'd better..." She gestured over her shoulder.

"Oh! Yeah, by all means. Enjoy your evening, Olive."

"You too, Oscar. I'll see you Tuesday?"

"Tuesday."

With an awkward nod she got up from the table and made her way towards the dance floor. Just ten feet and you'll be safe in the crowd. It's better this way. It's better for him. Do it for hi—

"Olive, wait!"

A bolt of lightning ran up her arm as he caught her hand. Reflexively she yanked it away, eyes wide, heart racing.

"A-Are you okay?"

She looked from her hand up to the boy in front of her and back down again. "Yes! No. I mean..."

Oscar mustered his courage and stood up straighter. "Listen, Olive, I-I-I was just thinking. A-About that year you hated me and why it happened and w-what happened in the boiler room and... Olive, I need to tell you something. Y-You were right about us needing some time to be kids, b-but I still really like you a-and..." Oscar took a deep breath. "I really wish we were together again. It's been nearly a year, I'm President of the Scientists now, and yet...y-you're still the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Olive's heart pounded in her chest as "Earth Angel" began to play.

"And I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I lost you again because I didn't tell​ you how I feel. B-But if you don't want to get back together again, I completely understand and I-I'll respect your decision."

She stared at him, eyes still wide. Her head felt like it might explode, a mass of thoughts screaming at her so loudly that she couldn't concentrate on any one. Oscar searched her face anxiously.

"Olive, p-please say something."

She opened her mouth and closed it again, then furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head. With a deep breath, she looked at the floor then back up to him. "Oscar, I-I'd love to get back together​, but we can't. All I ever do is hold you back."

"What? Who told you that? Was it Oren? Because I've been taking karate lessons with Oprah and if it was him I swear I'll—"

"No, no! It wasn't Oren, and karate won't be necessary," she laughed sadly. "It's just, you gave up your dream job for two years, just for me. And look at you now! Just a few months after I leave you're President of the Scientists! You know as well as I do that you deserved that title years ago."

"Well​, I don't know about that, but even if it's true you're not why I wasn't president sooner. Obbs was in office, I couldn't have the job until he left. Plus I've told you before, I was required to be your partner for those two years before I could be eligible for science department head. And yes, I took an extra few years after that before I became lab director, but did you ever ask me to?"

"Well, no, but—"

"Exactly, it was my decision to stay with you. More or less. B-Besides, heh, I'm a president now. I literally can't have a higher rank than that, so what would you be holding me back from?"

"I guess that's true... But there's just one more thing. We're...we're still kids, Oscar. What's the point of, you know, being together? We both know if we ever wanted to have a...a more serious relationship, we'd have to..."

Oscar's face grew grave. "...leave our jobs."

Olive put her hand on his arm. "I couldn't​ ask you to do that for me."

He nodded. "I couldn't do that to you either."

She felt her eyes burn, and blinked back the tears that threatened to fall.

"S-So, I guess we just stay friends?" Oscar asked.

Olive bit her lip.

The only other option would be to pretend he doesn't exist, and even enduring the torture of just being friends for decades is bett—

Her face lit up. "Wait. Decades. That's it! Oscar, when were you born?"

"11:26 P.M."

Olive rolled her eyes. "No, Oscar. What year were you born?"

"1992, you know that," he replied, confused.

"Exactly, and how many years ago was that?"

"Twenty-four?"

"So, legally speaking, how old are you?" Olive asked excitedly.

"Twenty...four...?" Suddenly Oscar's face filled with understanding. "Which makes you twenty-two."

"Or I will be next month, anyhow. Which means?"

"We're sort of not-kids? We're more...kidults."

"Not a thing, but right. So—so maybe we're not ready to 'date' per se, but...but maybe we could be kinda...reserved for each other? Like, more than friends, but not necessarily boyfriend and girlfriend until we leave Odd Squad for good?"

Oscar smiled. "I'd like that. But, um, I was thinking," he said, scratching the back of his neck. "I mean, we're already dressed as Danny and Sandy. Would you...would you be my girlfriend again, just for tonight?"

Olive grinned. "I'd love to."

"I-in that case..."

Oscar took two steps toward her.

And did something that shouldn't have surprised her.

E/N Because I can't resist throwing in one more Grease reference ;P 

We're in the home stretch, only a couple more chapters to go!

Full CircleOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara