1l Finding Destiny

The marbled floors echoed with the sound of Leah's shoes making contact with them as she hurried up the stairs and through the sleeping building. Her hands clutched tightly to the envelop in them, her heart racing as she reached the familiar door and knocked.

She stood for several seconds, her mind interpreting the seconds to be hours as the door stubbornly remained shut before her.

“My Lady?” She pressed her ear to the wooden door to listen for movement in the room. “My Lady!” She called in a hushed tone, desperate.

Even as she stood waiting, she saw Hadassah's grieved eyes the morning of her sixteenth birthday. She heard her words of hopelessness and her tears of grief; 'He will keep me here.' Shoving the envelop in her apron pocket, she made a fist and knocked loudly on the door, her actions capable of waking up the entire house.

“My Lady!” She called, this time, loud enough for an eavesdropper to hear from down the hall. She pressed her ears to the door, the sound of movement from within, causing her heart beat to rise. She heard the latch being released and stepped back as the door finally pulled open, revealing the brunette.

Dressed in a white, worn night dress, Hadassah's tired face, crusted with tears from the day before and revealing the fact that she had cried herself to sleep, appeared. Her brown eyes held confusion in them, a frown tugging at the edges of her brows, just above her pointy nose. Her rosy pink lips were poised to speak as Leah shoved her way past her and into the room.

She hurried to the drawer that stood by the far end of the room and pulled it open. Behind her, she heard Hadassah closing the door quietly and finally making her way to where she stood searching for dresses that were presentable.

“What are you doing?!” Hadassah whispered harshly behind her. She ignored her, digging further into the drawer and pulling out dresses. “Leah!”

“Stop speaking! Here, wear this.” Leah pulled out a simple green day dress from the drawer. Turning around briefly, she flung it at Hadassah who was fast enough to catch it before it fell to the floor.

“Why?”

“Now, Hadassah!” She was impatient. The tone of her voice was enough to throw Hadassah into action.

Leah found a travel bag and hurriedly began shoving in as many dresses as she could.

“Help me?” She turned to find Hadassah with her back to her, the lace of her dress undone. Nodding, she made her way to Hadassah and took hold of both ends of the lace.

There was silence as she worked, neither woman voicing the questions that filled their heart. Once done, Leah took hold of Hadassah's shoulders, tears now stinging her eyes as she turned her around.

She licked her dry lips, her mind searching for the right words to say to the child she had come to love. Sixteen years! Seventeen in a few hours and for the first time in those years, she was saying goodbye to her.

“You turn seventeen tomorrow.” Hadassah nodded to her words, eyes searching hers. “I cannot let you do that here.” Leah's eyes fell to the floors as her tears began falling down her cheeks. “You must leave.” She whispered brokenly. “Here,” She pulled out the envelop from her apron pocket and took hold of Hadassah's hand, shoving it into it. “My sister, she lives on a manor with a family in need of a Nurse. I have informed her that you will be accepting the job. You will leave this town and you will journey...” She sniffed, eyes still planted on the carpet. “To Birmingham.”

Something warm touched her teary chin in that moment, urging her to glance up with the soft nudging of her chin. She gave in to Hadassah's silent request and lifted her eyes up.

While Hadassah's face was pale and tears shone in her eyes, her squared shoulders and the small smile that tugged at the corners of her lips spoke of bravery.

“I appreciate your effort, dear Leah, but I mustn't leave.”

“Hadassah!”

She shook her head. “I cannot leave you.”

Leah reached out and grabbed her shoulders. “You must! You know the consequences of remaining, you know his plans as well as I do. You must or you will lose everything!” She snapped.

“He will know you have helped me escape.”

“I will pay the price. God knows I have failed your mother by allowing you suffer for this long. Leave now, child.”

“Leah...” She whispered brokenly, falling into Leah's arms.

Leah clung to her, soaking in the feeling of holding her young mistress for the last time. After only a few seconds, she pulled away, recognizing the urgency. “You will leave now. You will find destiny, you will find a man and you will return to take back your inheritance, fulfilling your father's wish.” Turning around, she grabbed the bag from the bed and shoved it into Hadassah's arms. “But today, today you travel.”

And for the first time in three years, a genuine smile finally settled on Leah's face.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.