Chapter 23: Faith

Start from the beginning

"I know. I've just always wanted to say that."

"Oh?"

"And also this: I can't tell you or I'd have to kill you," he said, suddenly turning serious.

I bursted out laughing. "You're just full of cliches, aren't you?"

"You have no idea." He winked before parking the car. "We're here."

I looked around, "Where exactly is here?" We were parked in the side of the road in the middle of what seemed to be nowhere. There were trees all around us, and I started to think that maybe he really brought me here to kill me. "You weren't kidding about the killing part were you?" I faced Cameron. "I have to say you got a nice strategy, perfect spot, no one will ever hear my screams. And you plenty of space to bury my body, but make sure you keep my face untouched, okay?"

Cameron laughed, "Your sarcasm never fails to amuse me, but no." He went out of the car, and came around to open my door. I placed my hand on his out stretched hand, allowing him to help me step out of the car.

"So I guess chivalry isn't dead," I smiled at Cam, while he opened the backseat door and started shuffling through whatever he had there.

Cameron finally got what he was looking for and came out, gripping a basket with a red and white checkered table cloth laying on top. "What's in there?" I asked.

"Oh nothing really," he shrugged. "Just the variety of weapons I plan to use to kill you. No big deal."

I rolled my eyes appearing offended, but my huge smile said otherwise. "So a picnic, how cliche of you."

He grinned, revealing his perfectly aligned teeth. "Cliche, maybe."

"Maybe? Come on Cam, cliche food. Cliche setting," I pointed at the basket. "Even a cliche blanket!"

"But," Cameron looked back in the backseat of his car, bringing out a bottle of soda. "Not a cliche drink. Wine isn't my forte and besides, wouldn't want to upset your mother with underage drinking." He balanced the basket and the bottle of soda on one arm. He brought up his other arm like the gentleman he is. I gladly took it as he led me into the forest.

We walked in comfortable silence before Cameron found the "perfect" spot. We were standing in a clearing so the night sky was visible above us. Trees seemed to form in a circle in the clearing, putting us in our own little world. My arm around his would not stop tingling during the whole walk and even now.

He untangled his arm from mine and put down the basket in the middle of the clearing. I watched as he took the red and white checkered blanket and placed it on the ground. Deciding to help, I took some of the plates and food packed inside and neatly positioned them on the blanket. Once we were done, we sat down.

"I'll have to say, it's really beautiful around here," I said, looking at the different trees and the sparkling stars above.

"It is, isn't it?" Cameron said while pouring the soda in our plastic cups. "I used to come here a lot with my parents. Well, when they were together and happy."

I turned around, giving him my full attention, "Together and happy?"

"Yeah," Cameron looked away. "My parents are... well... divorced."

"Oh," I didn't know what to say since I've never been in that situation. I just started rubbing my hand on his arm. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he said, finally making eye contact with me. "It happened a long time ago."

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you staying with?"

"My mother," he replied. "My father lives all the way in New York, far away from here. I visit him from time to time, mostly during the summer."