I searched through my handbag and located my keys, jiggling them absent-mindedly in my palm as I made my way towards my car, which was one of many in the crowded lot, conveniently located under a streetlight.

"Candice, wait!"

I snapped around at the sudden voice, and was greeted with Chance, who was running towards me. I felt my stomach drop. So much for avoiding him for the night.

But I waited for him. "Yeah?"

He finally reached me, taking in a large gulp of air before speaking. "Hey."

I looked away. "Hi."

"Look, I know I probably acted like a jerk yesterday," he said, running a hand through his bronzed hair. "And I came to apologize."

I shook my head, pushing my hair behind my ears. "You don't have to apologize, Chance. It's okay."

"Can we, I don't know, grab a coffee sometime? Totally date-free. Just two friends grabbing a coffee?"

I shook my head, biting my lip. "I'm sorry, Chance. But I'm busy."

He frowned, his hazel eyes flashing. "Well, we'll make it whenever you're free. Please, Candice. One coffee, that's all I want."

"I'm sorry, Chance," I replied, shrugging. "I'm just not looking for anything right now."

"Why?" he replied, sounding frustrated. "Look, Candice, I like you, okay? I wanna get to know you. I'm trying my hardest here, but you're making it pretty damned difficult."

"Then stop trying!" I snapped. I was tired, I'd had a long day, I was PMSing, and I certainly wasn't in the mood for this conversation. I needed a sleep and some chocolate, and to be left alone. "I never asked you to do these things. I'm grateful, but I told you, I'm not looking for a relationship."

"Why?" he asked. "Why? Just give me a chance to change your mind."

"Why are you trying so hard?" I replied incredulously, throwing my hands up in the air. "I'm nothing special, Chance. I'm just a normal girl, albeit a little bit weird. Do you just like girls that are unavailable? Do you like the chase, or something?"

He blinked at me, surprised by my words. "No! Of course that's not it!"

"Then why? If you think you're going to get to know me and I'm going to turn out to be some incredible, unique girl, you're wrong. I'm not worth your time and effort, Chance, I can promise you that."

"Well, I think differently."

"Just stop," I replied, groaning. "Please. I promise you that I'm not worth it. So stop wasting your time."

I turned on my heel and walked away, leaving him behind. I felt awful about saying those things, especially after the time and money and effort he'd invested into all of this, but it was true. I had nothing to offer him back. I didn't have much money, I didn't believe in love, and there was no way I could ever pay him back for the things he'd done for me.

I just hoped he got the message.

~ * ~

"You're stress-baking," Ava informed me when she finally made it home that night after her shift at Giuseppe's. I was up to my third batch of chocolate-chip cookies, and after an aspirin and cup of sweet tea, I was feeling a lot less unsettled.

"Am not," I replied, shoving the cookie dough into the oven and setting the timer for twenty-five minutes. I turned around and continued whipping up the next batch of dough.

The Girl Who Wrote The Dating Manualजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें