Chapter 11

"Hermione, dear, time to wake up."

Blinking profusely, Hermione lifted her head to discover that they were finally home. After emerging from the car, she stretched luxuriously before trotting around to the boot to help with the unpacking. Grabbing up her two bags, Hermione followed her parents up the drive.

"Looks like your booklist is here," her Dad announced, bending to pick up a thick envelope that lay on the tiled floor just inside the door.

Hermione grinned as she snatched the letter out of his hand before turning pleading eyes on to her mum.

"I think we can swing a trip to Diagon Alley the day after tomorrow," her mum laughed.

"Thanks, Mum," Hermione replied.

Then, hefting her bags once more, she made her way up the stairs and thence to her room. After kicking the door shut behind her, Hermione dropped her bags with a groan. Only here in the safety of her own room could she feel free to complain about the weight of her bags. For as long as she could remember, her parents had always had the same holiday deal: she could buy any books she liked, providing that she was the one to carry them, without complaining.

A flash of white outside her window prevented her fall onto her bed.

"Hedwig!" she exclaimed, rushing to open her window.

Regally, the snowy owl hopped in onto her desk before holding out her leg. Hermione wasted no time untying the letter before grabbing a few owl treats from the bottom drawer of her desk. Then she raced across to the nearby bathroom to fill a glass of water for the owl. With Hedwig taken care of, she plonked herself onto her bed and ripped open Harry's letter.

Dear Hermione,

Hi! How are you? How was your holiday? I'm pretty sure that you were supposed to get home today, so I thought that I'd send along a letter.

Firstly, I know that you're probably thinking that I'm writing this at Longbottom Manor. However, those plans that we discussed didn't quite work out. I've been staying in Diagon Alley at an apartment that I own.

Just wait until you hear all of the things that I've learnt from the goblins at Gringotts. And between them and a bunch of other stuff that happened, I've got so much to tell you. I won't write it here. I don't think that Hedwig'd be able to carry a letter that big.

Have you got your booklist yet? Mine came the other day. I don't know who that Gilderoy Lockheart guy is, but, after reading through some of those books, I reckon that he knows a lot about Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Here Hermione paused to open her Hogwarts letter. Flipping to the booklist, she noted that almost the entire booklist was comprised of books written by Gilderoy Lockheart. Putting that aside, she once again picked up Harry's letter.

Let me know when you're going to be in Diagon Alley so that we can meet up at The Leaky Cauldron and then we can spend the day together if you'd like. Don't worry about me not getting any letters that you send, I've got that sorted.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Harry.

With both letters firmly in hand, Hermione promptly raced from the room in search of her parents and a definite time to tell Harry to meet them the day after tomorrow.

-oOoOo-

The instant that Hermione entered The Leaky Cauldron, she began searching the dark, crowded bar for her best friend. She'd barely taken two steps, though, before the messy haired, green-eyed boy materialised directly in front of her.