Shall He Live Again? (A City of Heavenly Fire Fan Fiction)

Start from the beginning

        “I’m just afraid it won’t work. Magnus said sometimes it doesn’t work on older people, even teenagers.” That was when Alec and Magnus came up to them, hand in hand. Simon had become close to both of them in the last few months, after regaining his memories. He wasn’t as close to them as he was to Isabelle and Clary, but he was close enough. He greeted them with a nod.

        “Have faith, biscuit, he isn’t that old.” Magnus said, his gold-green cat eyes looking Simon up and down, as if he was assessing Simon to see if he had just spoken the truth.

        Clary sighed again, and Isabelle was about to say something when Robert Lightwood, Alec and Isabelle’s father, came upon them, announcing that the Ascension was to begin. Clary hugged Simon quickly, and he lost his breath for a moment. She was stronger now, now that she had begun her own training and studying. She looked stronger too, much stronger than his old memories of her.

        “I’ll be fine, I promise. Now go say hi to your Mom and Luke for me.” Simon nodded toward the Council seats, where her parents were sitting. And Luke was her parent, even if it wasn’t by blood. They were a happy family, finally. They deserved it, especially after everything that had happened in the past year or so.

        All of his friends left, giving him varying forms of “Good luck”. Isabelle remained at his side, though, and she squeezed his arm, dragging him near her. Her dark eyes looking deep within his, a similar kind of worry in them as had been in Clary’s. She locked eyes with him for several moments before speaking, “You come back to me, Simon Lewis. Or else I’ll have to kill you.” She didn’t sound like she was joking. He knew she wasn’t.

        He didn’t know what to say, so he just leaned in and stole a kiss, right in front of the Consul, Inquisitor and the rest of the Council. He could faintly hear Alec’s voice from the stands, grunting to himself saying, “Not again!” but he ignored it and when he pulled away he looked into Isabelle’s eyes, his memories flooding behind his own eyes, and said, “I love you, Isabelle Lightwood.”

        “Don’t say it like a goodbye, idiot.” She said, which surprised him. He had thought she would have said it back, but her face softened after a while and she took a deep breath, “I love you, too.” and she pecked his cheek before making her way to her seat beside the rest.

        “Are you ready now, Mr. Lewis?” he heard Jia Penhallow ask of him, standing up on the dais. He nodded and made his way up the steps.

        The Ascension process wasn’t long, but Simon felt the worry that everyone else had expressed, suddenly come on him at the last moment. What if this didn’t work? What would he become? Magnus had assured him earlier in the day that there was a high possibility of it working, and he believed Magnus. At least, he wanted to believe the warlock. He supposed there was only one way to find out if it actually worked, and that meant going through with it.

        Jia Penhallow spoke the words, as Robert Lightwood held the Mortal Cup within his hands.

        “Do you swear, Simon Lewis, to forsake the mundane world and follow the path of the Shadowhunter? Will you take into yourself the blood of the Angel Raziel and honor that blood? Do you swear to serve the Clave, to follow the Law as set forth by the Covenant, and to obey the word of the Council? Will you defend that which is human and mortal, knowing that for your service there will be no recompense and no thanks but honor?”

        Simon wanted to say something witty in reply, but Isabelle had scolded him earlier when he had attempted it when they had practiced before hand. The memories came back into his mind and made him smile when he finally did reply.