Holly Decker Dabney

Chapter 1

            I was always told that my dad, Felix, loved danger. He always drove on risky roads, like he was now. My  mom, Alicia reached out and touched his arm. Her eyes almost seemed to plead to him. He looked at her and slowed down the car. My little sister, Jenny, was sitting in the seat next to me hugging her teddy bear Jinx.

            We pulled up in front of the house and Felix lifted our luggage up out of the trunk. Standing on the wraparound porch was my Uncle Moore, who i've never met before. Felix was talking to him but he didn't respond. He just stood there and shuffled his feet around. I looked over at Alicia who's hat had blown off in the wind and she was now chasing after it before it fell into the deep, blue ocean below. Felix reached out to shake Moore's hand but Moore stood there as if he couldn't move.

            "Holly" said Alicia who's hat had now returned to her head "This is your Uncle Moore." A stray tear ran down the side of her face. I walked up to Uncle Moore in two tiny steps.

            "Hello" I said quietly, looking down at the beat up boards on the porch. I looked in the house and saw my grandmother in the hallway. I reach out to Jenny and held her as she tightly clutched Jinx. I gave her hand a gentle squeeze and we stepped inside the house.