The cat blinked as well, nodding shortly. You are a powerful mage. I will enjoy the taste of your soul. I will follow the usual agreements not to cause any harm to you or place you in a position to die early, though. I, Felicitamitis, agree to all that has been stated.

"Let us cement the pact then." Reaching out his hand, Almat touched the top of the cat's head. A brilliant light, the same color as a mixture of Almat's eyes and the red of the cat's, came from where the two were touching. It moved, filling their bodies, making them glow for half a second. I blinked, startled by the light. Just as suddenly as it had appeared, it vanished.

The cat turned, glancing back at me. It's eyes stayed red though, instead of changing. Almat's eyes shifted over to Zane and I as well, his cheeks blushing red. "I am so sorry, sir," he began. He seemed to finally take in my fearful posture behind Zane and my confused expression. "I am terribly sorry, miss. I wasn't...I didn't think that summoning an anima-feles would cause so much trouble."

Zane's voice was still hard with anger. "What kind of idiot summons that kind of creature and doesn't put up a protective barrier?" he demanded. "Anima-feles feed on the souls of other living things. They more specifically like the souls of females. And if that female has magical abilities, especially as strongly as my wife?" His voice trailed off, but it was obvious by the faces of the other two that they knew what he meant.

The cat deemed to speak. I apologize for my lack of civilized behavior before. I saw the female and smelled her magic. So intoxicating...It's voice took on a cryptic tone. I find it very interesting, the smell of her magic and the smell of you on her...I have never seen a mage with such a complicated bond to another before. It is more complex and binding than even that of a familiar and master...

I raised an eyebrow at it's words. It must be talking about the pact-thing Zane made with me and possibly the vow as well, I thought.

Zane grew still. His voice was very careful. "Yes, well...'Love knows no bounds' and all that cheesy drivel," he muttered.

The cat's eyes hardened. Indeed...You are who I think you are, are you not? It is quite a unique, bizarre thing you have done. One that mere mortals will not understand and probably will not be able to accept. Your...wife is...remarkable...The only one even slightly like you in the world.

I couldn't see his face from where I was standing, but his voice was strange. It was a mix of weariness, humor, and sorrow. "Well, Noah's Ark and all that. It took me a very long time to find my matching pair though..."

The cat nodded. Yes, indeed, sire. I must thank you, personally. Your actions long ago caused my kind the ability to exist, grow, and thrive. Do not worry, I will do no more harm to your 'wife'. Indeed, I shall send out the knowledge so that all others of my kind know never to touch her. I fear, with her smell, she will be like a beacon to my kind, should she grow close enough.

Zane dipped his head stiffly. "I thank you. I wouldn't want to kill one of the anima-feles if I didn't have to. But if any tried to harm my wife, I wouldn't bat an eye at destroying them."

The cat nodded again. Slowly, it dipped into a bow, this one deeper and somehow more grand than the one it had given Almat. With your bond to her and your position, it would only be your right to do so. Indeed, all magic has no choice but to bend to your will. You are, after all, the Father of All Magic. It straighten, it's tail twitching. In that regard, I am humbled to have been given the honor of meeting you, Great One.

Zane let out a long sigh. "Okay, now you're just getting creepy with all of this. Anyway," his tone grew sharper as he returned his attention to the other two. "Old man, you should have known better. What would you have done if... Felicitamitis hadn't been stopped and completely pulled her soul away, devouring it?"