5 - Just Friends

Começar do início

We fell back into silence as I continued to bathe. I felt the nerves in my belly flutter, making me feel a little ill. I fought to hold back a sob. I swallowed back the sound and wiped at the tears that had silently begun to leak from my eyes. I couldn't let my emotions overcome me now, not when I had nowhere to run to, to hide.

It took five more long minutes before I reached for the towel. I stood in the tub, beginning the long process of drying my hair. I heard a soft sound and instantly my eyes flew to Zane. I let out a tiny breath. He was still turned away, he had just shifted a little. Drying my hair, I stared at his back. Unable to help myself, I imagined him without his shirt. I had seen his chest before, with his tattoos, but I had no idea what his back looked like.

Was it just as pale as the rest of him? Did he have even more tattoos? Did he have scars? Or was his back unblemished?

As if he could sense my thoughts, he grew suddenly still. He didn't turn, but he did speak. "What are you doing now? It's gotten really quiet."

I quickly turned my head away. My hair was dry now, so I started on my body. As the cloth rubbed against my skin, I heard him groan again. "Never mind," he muttered. "I see you're almost done with your bath then."

I glanced at him curiously. "Just how sensitive is your hearing? I can't even detect any noise from drying off."

"Very," he said tightly. "Very, very, very sensitive."

I blushed, feeling as if he was somehow telling me he could even hear my thoughts. But that was silly. I had to have a safe place somewhere and that was in my own mind. Stepping out of the tub, I quickly dried off my feet and legs. Glancing around I found my clean clothes I had laid out on the bed earlier. Turning my back to him, I pulled on everything, including my dark green dress. I didn't have any night gowns. Since I was traveling and sleeping with him, I didn't feel comfortable just sleeping in my shift.

"Okay," I called, glancing back at him. "It's safe to look."

He turned on his heel. His eyes were glowing again. He stared across the room at me, his eyes hot. I blanched a little at his gaze. He closed his eyes, taking in several deep breaths. "I think I'll be okay now," he sighed.

I nodded. "Right."

I turned to look out the little window, on the opposite side of the door. The moon was out, the sky dark. Silently, I climbed into the bed. I moved over, so that Zane would be able to climb in. I watched as he lifted the bath tub effortlessly and moved it to the window. He paused, staring down; making sure no one was outside.

With a flick of his wrist, the tub was upside down, and the remaining water rushed out the window. He placed it back on the floor, stepping away from the window. As he moved through the room to reach the other side of the bed, he blew out the three candles that had been lit for my bath. His weight lowered the bed and then his familiar, comfortable arms came around me. I closed my eyes, leaning back against him.

I wasn't sure how I was suppose to see this man. I wanted to belong to him and only him, but that wouldn't ever happen. But every night, I slept with him. Every day I was by his side, rarely leaving him, and if I did it was for a very short period of time. We had been together constantly since I had met him. Since the day he had swept into my village, looking inhuman and terrible. Every chance we had, we were touching each other. Not in a lustful way, just...as if both of us felt and agreed that if we weren't physically connected, we'd disappear.

I wasn't sure how to think or feel about any of it.

He lips brushed along the top of my head.

Another thing that didn't make any sense. He touched me like a would-be lover, like a man who wanted to be with me for the rest of my life. Yet, in the same instant, he could suddenly pull away and grow distant. I couldn't understand it.