Chapter 4 - The Brother's Girlfriend

Picture: Melissa (Scarlet Johansson) ->

*

Jackson and I were sat opposite each other in a booth in the restaurant, and had been for the past five minutes. The waiter had brought us our drinks; a Diet Coke for me, and two Sprites for Jackson and Melissa, even though she had yet to arrive.

Whilst we waited I searched my brain for any mention of Melissa. Now that I thought about it, Jackson had been talking about a 'Mel' but always figured he'd bought a cat.

I went for a walk on the beach with Mel.

Mel and I watched this film and ate tea in front of the TV.

Mel could've just as easily have been a cat. In fact, I would have enjoyed the company cat Mel more than his girlfriend, Melissa.

I slumped further into the padded chair and sighed. "How long is she going to be?"

"She should be here any minute- oh, she's here. Melissa!" he called out.

I didn't turn to look at what monstrosity would be walking towards us. In fact, I contemplated keeping my eyes closed or pretending to be blind so I wouldn't have to look directly at her, but the thought was pulled away as she slid into the booth next to Jackson.

"Dakota, right?" she said. "It's so nice to meet you! Jackson's told me all about you."

"He hasn't told me anything about you," I said. Jackson shot me a dirty look from across the table. "I'm joking, jeez. It's nice to meet you too."

She slid out of her jacket to reveal a low cut tank top that allowed me, and the whole restaurant to see her leopard print bra. I cringed at the person my brother had chosen to date. She was so unlike anybody else he had been with.

In the past he had chosen the smart girls - the underdogs. Those that wore cardigans and Converses. The kind that had their hair tied up because they just couldn't be bothered putting in the effort to go to school. But Melissa. Melissa was different.

Her hair was obviously dyed blonde - her dark eyebrows were fooling nobody. It hung loose and wavy past her shoulders and her eyes were surrounded by deep and well-applied eye makeup. I thought about how I had applied my makeup that morning - rushed and wild. I didn't have time to carefully draw rings around my eyes, so I made it look as though the clown look was the one I was going for.

Melissa, Melissa, Melissa. What was Jackson thinking?

Her low cut tank top was enough to drag everybody's attention towards her - that was probably it. He liked the way she looked. She was a pretty piece of eye candy to have wrapped around his arm.

The relationship, in that case, wouldn't last.

Hopefully.

"So, are you looking forward to spending the summer with us?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to spending it with Jackson," I replied. "It should be good."

"I like your hair," she said.

I don't like yours. "Thanks."

A waiter drifted towards our table and announced his arrival with a smile.

"Hi, I'm Jared. What can I get for you tonight?"

I scanned over the menu and was first to order. "A cheese burger with chips and salad, please."

"I'll just have the salad," Melissa said.

"And I will have the super-sized hotdog with a side of chips and onion rings."