"Would you mind if we don't".  She said.

"Um..?".  I frowned.

"I, er.....don't really do people in confined places....you know.....I'd rather stay here and talk to you........if you don't mind".  She explained.

I grabbed hold of her arm affectionately and began to lead her to one of the nearby fountains.

"Of course I don't mind, it's just great to see you wherever".  I grinned.

Maya let me take her towards the fountain where we then pushed ourselves up onto the edge of it and sat there swinging our legs together in unison and laughing with one another.
This felt really great and I was so glad of her company.

We chatted for awhile  about this and that before she told me she was now working for her cousin in a florist shop.

"Why doesn't that surprise me".  I smiled at her.

"How do you mean!".  Maya asked.

"Well,  you in a flower shop".  I grinned,  "It sort of suits your personality". 

She looked down.

" Oh, you mean, quiet and frail".  She mumbled.

" No, not at all".  I said quickly,  "I meant beautiful and gentle".  
Maya looked up.

"It's only until another play comes along, you understand. I mean, I have to get some money from somewhere".  She went on as if defending her decision to work in a shop.

"Oh, don't I know it".  I sighed.  "Flaming Hugo put a stop to Marcus working. He had a perfectly good job in a nice bar on the south bank, then Hugo comes along and all but tells Marcus to stop working there. Of course it now means that I have to work extra hours to pay all the bills seeing that Beth as now gone". 

Maya stared at me, her mouth dropping open at my immense frustration of it all.

"Of course Marcus denies that Hugo had anything to do with his resignation, but I know Hugo only too well".  I went on.  "It's a bit of a struggle I can tell you, Don't suppose you'd like to move in with us?".   I laughed.

Maya blushed, then shook her head fervently.

" No, can't  say I  blame you really".  I continued to laugh, as I noticed that Maya was wringing her hands rather nervously, like I'd seen her do this once before so I watched her for a second, then quickly put a hand over the top of hers in order to calm her.
She looked up at me.

"Just a nerve thing".   She shrugged, then took a deep breath.

"Have you seen Hugo then?".  She asked, somewhat hopefully.

" No".  I answered, "Not in ages". 

Maya put her head down and I could see that she was disappointed.
Maybe the florists wasn't her thing after all and she, like the rest of us were itching to get back onto that stage again.
So I thought I'd offer her a little glimmer of hope.

"Well.........actually.......rumour has it that Hugo is in the process of putting another play together".  I said quietly.

Maya raised her head up, her eyes glistened excitedly and a big grin adorned her face.
It had worked.
This was the happiest I had seen Maya look since we had met this afternoon.

" Really Gwen?".  She asked.

I nodded my head.

"Well, he can't keep us all unemployed forever.......we are actors after all!".   I announced, pleased that I had, at least given Maya some hope.