Chapter 18 ● The Night They Made Shit Hit the Fan

Start from the beginning

○○○

When the other room was finally available and the reception was about to start, I texted Melissa to be on standby.

The newlyweds were announced and, seemingly everyone was cheering for them. Everyone but Antonella and I.

The DJ demanded everyone find their seats as everyone's food orders were going to be taken before the first dance.

Knowing that I was sat at the first table, I walked over to a long table in the back with all the gifts on it. I was observing all the different sized boxes after I placed my envelope in between these two colorful ones when my phone began to ring.

"Hey," I greeted Melissa. "A couple of more minutes."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I reply. "Reception hasn't started yet, everyone's getting to their tables. The newlyweds look oh so happy, though."

"Good," Melissa laughed. "Do you think we're going to hell for this?"

"It's just karma," I disagree as I take another glass of champagne from a caterer and spot Antonella across the room.

She was getting kicked out of the first table we were all supposed to be sat at and I was getting mad.

"More like revenge," Melissa said.

"I gotta go," I spoke as I followed Anto with my eyes to a far table. "I'll text you."

Eva really had her sitting at the kiddie table.

"What a bitch," I whisper before locking eyes with Antonella after she sat down and was talking to some of the kids.

I make my way over to the girl and I spot her shifting in her seat, then looking down at the table.

"Anto," I say when I reach her. "Can I talk to you for a second?" I offer a smile to all the kids at the table.

"What do you want?" She finally looks up at me, harshly.

"I want to apologize," I say. "For many things."

"Juan, your wrong isn't with me," she rolls her eyes. "It's with everyone in this place for letting the lovely couple waste their time."

"I'll take that," I nod. "But at least I, unlike you, and I mean that in the nicest way possible because I know how hard it is for you to speak up, am gonna do something about it."

"I'm sure you are," Antonella looks away from me. "Now, if you'll excuse me," she gets back to ignoring me.

I look down at her for a second longer, praying I can get her to talk to me again.

○○○

After making my way to the table in the front, the couple's first dance took place and I wasn't paying any attention the entire time as I rehearsed my speech over and over again in my head for the second half of the song.

During the first half, I pretended I was headed toward the bathroom when I was going to escort Melissa into the building. The employees didn't question the best man bringing in a date, nor did the kitchen staff question the fake panic attack Meli put on so I could leave her in the kitchen for a bit and not disturb the guests.

When I got back to the table, everyone was eating which meant that the speeches were next.

The maid of honor went first.

The girl gave her cute little speech that sounded as fake as Felipe and Eva's vows. Something they found in the second page of google just so no one would find at first try.