Chapter 10 ● The Day They Came To The Rescue

Start from the beginning

"Okay, well," I begin. "Let's finish up the last couple of calls to all the places and we can start calling all the guests on our way there."

"Sounds like a plan," Juan nods. "I got the florists. You call the church and talk to the priest."

○○○ 

"Yeah, we're really bummed out about it too," Juan says in the passenger seat as he calls the fifteenth guest. "Of course, I'll call with any updates. Thanks for understanding. Bye."

"Updates," I widen my eyes.

"Not gonna happen," Juan says as I begin to park across the street from the rented reception venue.

Just as I finish parking my phone starts ringing on the bluetooth system and it's Felipe.

"Go sign the papers while I take his call," I point at the screen.

"Got it," Juan nods and leaves my car.

"Felipe," I answer.

"Yeah, how's everything going?"

"Good, we're done with all the venues and the caterers and everything. All you paid for is covered. We're just calling guests-"

"Do you know when I'll get all my deposits back."

"So, you'll only get back the one from the caterers, venues, and the printing place."

"Okay," he simply says.

"How are you?" I ask, filling the silence.

"Good," he says again.

"Juan and I are good too," I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, alright," he speaks. "If you need me I'll be home."

"Alright, bye," I quickly hang up on him, mad that he's being ungrateful.

Fifteen minutes later and Juan was on his way back.

"Hey," he says as comes back into the car.

"Have you spoken to Felipe lately?"

"No, I don't want to," Juan admits.

"What a dick," I say angrily.

"Yeah, he's been using us, nothing new."

"Why are you friends with him again?"

"Yeah, starting to reconsider that after these past six hours."

"Who's next on the list to call?"

Just then my phone starts ringing again, this time Melissa's name fills the screen in my car.

"Oh my God," Juan quickly presses the button on my steering wheel to answer and I try not laughing at him.

"Hello?" Melissa starts.

"Meli," I start and gesture for Juan to be quiet. "Babe, how are you?"

"A fucking mess," she was crying. "I'm at my mom's."

"That's good," I nod. "Do you wanna talk about what happened?"

"Absolutely not," Meli starts. "Not now."

"I get it," I reply. "I'm here if you need me, whenever you're ready to talk."

"Thanks," she sniffles some more. "I have a favor to ask you and it's really big, but I don't know who else to ask."

"What is it?"

"Can you bring Manolo to me?"

"Manolo," I start. "To Naples?"