chapter thirty two

The first thing she pulled out was a picture. It was a picture of the family. There mother and father, Bradley, Ophelia, Harry and Charlie. Ophelia pulled out a few other things belonging to him and a small stack of letters. She sighed softly and looked up at the people saying goodnight to her. The private room door opened and the Shelby's slaunted out. She pushed all the belongings in the bag. "Ophelia eight glasses of whisky love". John said. She poured the whisky and frowned at the last one. "Its for you love". John said gently. They all picked up there glasses and said. "Cheers". Ophelia could clearly see they where all drunk. Everyone besides Tommy. Ophelia bit her lip and she could feel the tears forming in her eyes. Her and Bradley had been very close. He was her best friend. "Hey". Tommy said slowly noticing the sad look on Ophelia's face. The other Shelby's left the pub. "Are you okay?" He asked. She softly shook her head. She looked down at the brown bag. "A man came in he was with my brother in the war and he told me how he died". Tommy came around the bar and pulled her into a hug. "You can cry if you like". He whispered.

She let out a laugh and shook her head. "I use to cry every night when i found out he died. I cried until there was no tears left just silent tears". She shook her head and said. "I'm sorry its stupid". She said. He shook his head and said. "The war effected so many people, not just the people who fought in the war but those at home too. I use to use opium to help at night I'd have nightmares from the war. It helped at the beginning but in the end it stopped". She looked up into his blue eyes. She lifted herself up on her tippy toes and pressed her lips against his. She had always felt safe when she was with Tommy. His arms wrapped tighter around her waist. Her hands slid up to his hair.

They both parted. "I'll walk you home". He said softly. She nodded her head softly. She grabbed her coat and pulled it on. Tommy grabbed her hand and the locked up. They slowly walked down the road together. The brown bag tucked safely into her coat. She stood closely beside Tommy as they walked. "Would you like to come in for a drink?" She asked. He nodded his head and followed her in. She made her way over to the drinking cabinet and grabbed the already opened bottle of whisky. She poured to glasses and turned handing him his glass. They both sat down in silence. "I never thanked you for what you did for Polly and Michael". He said softly. She clenched her lips together. "It's okay, I'd do anything for you and your family even if I have to be a whore". Tommy looked at her and said. "We're all whores Ophelia we just sell different parts of are selves. But you Ophelia, your not a whore nor will you ever be". Ophelia turned her head to look at him. Her eyes trailed down to his lips back up to his eyes. She moved closer to him. There lips gently touching. Ophelia stood up and grabbed his hand both making there way up the stairs.