chapter nine

Ophelia woke up the next morning and made her way down stairs to breakfast. John, Mary, Harry and Charlie where all seated. "How did last night go?" John asked handing Harry the newspaper.

Ophelia sat down and smiled at Charlie. "Very well, they absolutely adored your pie Mary". She replied. Mary smiled widely to herself happy someone else besides her family enjoyed her food. Mary placed everyone's plates down on the table and they all dug in. When they where done Ophelia helped clean up and went upstairs to get dressed.

She tied her hair into a light bun. She was wearing a white blouse and dark blue skirt. She ran down the stairs and kissed Harry and Charlie on the head. She kissed Mary and John on the cheek and left.

She smiled at everyone on the street and entered the garrison. She did some quick cleaning for Harry and grabbed the waste bucket. She opened the back and threw it out. Her eyes widening in shock. "Mr Shelby..Tommy". She said. She only noticed him standing there beside a beautiful white horse.

"I am so sorry I never saw you there". He nodded his head at her accepting her apology. "Your horse is beautiful, is it a he or she?" She asked raising her hand slowly rubbing the horse. "A he". He answered. She looked at him smiling. "He is very beautiful". She softly said. "Has he a name?" She asked. He shook his head. "Why Mr Shelby everybody needs a name, even horses". She smiled softly at him."Do you like races?" He asked softly. She answered. "I've only ever been once when I was young I don't really remember it though".

Tommy nodded he getting onto his horse. "Would you like to go with me?" He asked. Ophelia bit her lip. Tommy for one moment thought she was going to say no. But he saw that beautiful smile forming on her face again. "I would love to". He nodded once more "buy a red dress" he said and he went on his way.

Later on in the afternoon John, Harry and Charlie came in. "A beer and two soft ones love". John said. She smiled at her uncle and two brothers. "Johns taking us to Saint Andrews to watch the match". Harry said in a excited manor. Ophelia smiled and said. "Be careful you three". She talked to them for awhile and watched as everyone left for the match. When it was over everyone flooded in once again happy that they had won.

It was near the end of the night and everyone had left to go home. She could see Harry yawning. "Go home Harry you look exhausted, I'll lock up". He looked at her and asked. "Are you sure?" Ophelia nodded. She smiled at him as he left. Once he was gone she locked up turning back to the bar. She grabbed a cloth and soaked it in the water. She began to clean the counter top. She stopped when she heard loud banging on the doors.

She made her way to the door thinking it was Harry, forgetting something. She unlocked the doors and opened to them. She was surprised to see Tommy standing there. "Tommy" she said. She moved out of his way for him to enter. "Whisky" was all he said. He sat down at a table.

Ophelia nodded and grabbed a bottle and glass. She set them down on the table and sat on the chair opposite him. "Are you okay?" She asked. He looked at her whilst pouring a drink. He slightly shook his head and slammed the bottle on the table picking up his drink. He slouched in his chair sighing.

Ophelia noticed he didn't have his cap on. She smiled softly trying to lighten the mood. "How's your beautiful horse, you found a name for him yet?" She asked. He looked up from his now empty glass. He grabbed the bottle and poured his self another one. "Its dead, I killed it". Her smile dropped. "Was he lame". She asked. He shook his head. "He looked at me the wrong way. No body looks at Tommy Shelby the wrong way".

Ophelia knew people were scared of the Shelby's, mostly Tommy. "I'm sorry". She said. He shook his head and poured himself another drink. "When ever I was upset my mother always sang to me to cheer up". He looked up at her. "You think singing will cheer me up?" He asked. She stood up and smiled. "Worth a try". He leant forwards and said. "Right then grab a chair".

She turned a chair that was behind her. He beckoned her to stand up. "Happy or sad?" She asked. He sat back in his seat and licked his lips. "Sad". He replied. She smiled softly and said. "I might break your heart". He shook his head lightly. "Already broken". She looked at him for a moment feeling sorry for him. She bit her lip trying to think of what to sing.

"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen and down the mountain side
The summer's gone and all the roses dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bye

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
And I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy I love you so

But if he come and all the roses dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
He'll come here and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an ava there for me

And I shall feel, oh soft you tread above me
And then my grave will richer, sweeter be
For you will bend and tell me that you love me
And I shall rest in peace until you come to me"

Tommy listened to each word, not taking his eyes of her. Ophelia could see the emotion in his eyes. When she was finished she slowly got down from her chair. He licked his lip slowly tears threatening to spill. Ophelia squeezed his arm gently and said. "You owe me a song sometime". Smiling at him. His eyes travelled down till he found hers. A small smile toying at the side. Ophelia's smile widened as she said. "You should smile more makes you even handsomer".

Tommy watched as she made her way back to the bar. She finished cleaning up and turned to see him putting the bottle and glass on the counter. "Goodnight Tommy". She said gently. Tommy fastened his hat on his head. "Goodnight Ophelia". He turned and left the garrison. He made one of his men watch the garrison to make sure she got home safe.