Chapter Six

Mulai dari awal

"Really?" Forestkit looked at the lithe frame of the she-cat.

"Yeah," Dawnkit was bobbing her head empathetically. "They say she's almost as good as Lillyblaze was."

"Lillyblaze?" Forestkit was curious now. She decided to try something. She concentrated hard on Dawnkit's voice, and her thoughts popped into her mind.

Oh yeah, because she's practically ThunderClan, she wouldn't know that Lillyblaze was the fastest, fiercest warrior in WindClan. Only Braveheart could match her in skill, and he was the warrior that went from apprentice to having an apprentice to deputy in two seasons!

"She was amazing, at least from what I heard Thorncloud say before they found me and made me go to the nursery again." Dawnkit began washing her paws.

Forestkit heard pawsteps coming through the bushes that surround the camp. She turned to see Swiftfoot walk into camp to where Bravestar was speaking with Smokefur, a golden tabby she-cat, and a dark grey tabby tom. Dustpaw came into camp about three heartbeats after he did, followed by Raintail and a silvery-grey spotted tabby she-cat. They were grouped around a small shape that padded along quietly. Forestkit tasted the air and gasped.

"Birchkit?" She scrambled forward and darted over to the patrol, Dawnkit following her.

Lillyblaze moved over beside Forestkit, Bravestar close behind. "Forestkit, do you know who this is?"

Birchkit turned to look at Forestkit, and at the same time they both squealed.

"Forestkit! I came to see you!" Birchkit flicked her tail happily, purring.

Forestkit licked her sister's ear. "Yeah, but now you're on WindClan territory. Does Clearpool know where you've gone?"

Birchkit shuffled her paws. "I told Oakkit."

"And is he actually going to tell Clearpool?" Forestkit purred as Birchkit dropped her gaze. "This is my sister, Birchkit."

"Hello Birchkit. You're a long way from home, aren't you?" Bravestar meowed. Birchkit started twitching a little bit, and bobbed her head.

"We found her almost halfway to the camp on the way back from Dawn patrol," the she-cat meowed.

"Thank you Heronwing. I will handle this now," Heronwing nodded and walked away to the fresh-kill pile, closely followed by Rainfur and Dustpaw.

"I just wanted to see Forestkit," Birchkit mumbled. "I wanted to know she's okay."

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Forestkit saw Birchkit duck her head, obviously embarrassed.

"Well, I suppose we should get you back to your clan now," Bravestar mewed. "Smokefur, take Rabbitfoot, Sharpstorm, and Bloomtail to take this kit back. Don't wait at the border, just go. We need her back as soon as possible." Smokefur nodded and gathered some cats that were sitting a few fox-lengths away.

"You may be worried about Forestkit, but that is no excuse to trespass. Understand?" Birchkit nodded, and Bravestar motioned them away.

Forestkit licked Birchkit, purring. Birchkit returned the lick, looking small. Forestkit could smell the scent of the trees on Birchkit, a scent that made her heart ache for Clearpool, Oakkit, and Blazeheart.

"You don't smell exactly like ThunderClan anymore." Birchkit seemed sad.

I wish you were still ThunderClan. I know Pouncekit wasn't right when he said that all WindClan cats were lying prey stealers. Or that you'll be one too. I wish we were actually sisters.

Birchkit's thoughts slipped into Forestkit's mind. Forestkit felt the ache in her heart deepen with every word. Finally she couldn't take it anymore, unable to turn the thoughts off. She licked her sister one last time and disappeared into the soothing dark of the nursery.