CHAPTER 21

Sean crossed his fingers on both hands- including his toes on both feet.
His mother was sweating and hyperventilating as she held on tightly to Amy's left pointer finger.
Mr. Sawyer on the other hand, seemed to look quite odd.
The reason being, was because he knew something was going to eventually happen to his daughter.
Surely, his only daughter was going to pass away no matter how many times the doctors tried to save her life, and no matter how many times his wife and son pleaded and begged to God that he would spare her life.

"Why, you don't care at all, do you...?" Mrs.-Sawyer commented as she spun around to face her husband. She looked at him with burning anger and resentment. "Our daughter is dying and you're just going to stand over there as if she is not yours too?!"

A stray tear trickled out of Sean's eyes as he watched Amy's heart rate slow down on the heart rate monitor.

The doctors rushed in to the room, just in time to find Amy, dead.
The heart rate monitor showed a flat rate line on the screen. After that was shown, it's sudden beeping noise turned into a high pitched noise- which was quite irritating to the ears. So with rage, Mrs. Sawyer snatched the cord out of the wall plug to silence the machine.

The nurse assured everyone to back up a couple of feet away from Amy's body, while he began to explain what had really happened.

"So, after taking her through a whole MRI scan, we saw that her brain signals weren't working very well with her heart."

"What do you mean, exactly?" Mr. Sawyer asked with no hard feelings.

The nurse cleared his throat and then stood up straight with both of his hands behind his back.
"The brain is basically the control center of the whole body. If something hurts, my brain will let me know that I must take care of the pain. However- in this case that your daughter is in, mind you- that she does have some brain damage after the accident. She had dementia added with the fact that some of her brain cells had died off. In result of that, her brain did not work properly which caused it to lose it's signal with everything in her body.-"

"Well, why didn't this happen before?" Mrs.- Sawyer asked with a threatening tone of voice as she placed both of her hands on her hips.

One of the doctors cleared their throat and spoke up. "You do realize that your daughter had been getting sick literally everyday... Her brain was slowly dying away. Slowly losing signal with everything in her body. I mean, she started to have some signs of hearing loss, and then she started to struggle with speaking. She couldn't even think properly- plus added on to the fact that her heart stopped pumping blood and delivering it throughout her whole body."

One of the nurses shrugged his shoulders and whispered, "There you go."

Mrs. Sawyer and her son, stood there in disbelief while Mr. Sawyer had no expression on his face.

The doctors- including the nurse, pushed Amy on the hospital bed- out of the room, and down the hallway into a room called the mortuary.
There were already several dead patients in the room before, and most of them were getting embalmed.

The Sawyer's quickly walked down the hallway to see where they were taking their daughter, but sadly, the nurse stood in front of them and stopped them from getting any closer.

"I'm sorry, but no one has the right to enter the mortuary room unless you work here at this hospital. Other than that, I am kindly asking you all to leave until further notice."

Mrs. Sawyer looked at her husband and then back at the nurse.
"No- are you kidding me?! That's our daughter, and you guys are just going to take her like that?!!"

"Ma'am, please lower down your voice. There are a couple of other patients who are getting treated and who are in the process of recovery right now-"

"Oh, so you want me to shut up now, and respect other patients- when clearly, you don't care about our daughter, nor do you care for any of us to give her our final goodbyes...?" Mrs. Sawyer scolded, pointing at him with accusation.

The nurse giggled wickedly to himself and replied to her, "Your daughter is dead. Her brain is dead- including her body. There is no way that she can possibly hear a word that anyone says." With that, he spun around and left the family. He headed off to the mortuary and closed then locked the doors behind him.

Mrs. Sawyer could not believe her eyes. She wanted to yell- possibly say something, but her emotions were getting in the way.
Mr. Sawyer on the other hand, was not surprised. To him, it was like deja vu a million times again.

Sean leaned on his mother's arm and stared at the room in front of them, as they started lifting Amy off of the hospital bed and placing her on to a white table.

Mr. Sawyer suggested that they'd leave immediately to go to a funeral home and pay for a place for Amy's body to be kept in a graveyard.

***

"I'm sorry, but it's impossible for any funeral home to give anyone less than five thousand dollars to get your loved one buried in to our graveyards." The funeral director instructed briefly.

The Sawyer's had driven all over their neighborhood and all the way into another county, to see what offers any funeral home would give them.
They received tough luck every time and could not seem to find a place to bury Amy's body.

"Well, I mean..." Mr. Sawyer shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "Do you know of any other place that is cheaper than the rest of these high class funeral homes?"

The funeral director nodded his head and then lead the family towards the back of the building and into his office.

He pulled a large map out of his drawer and skimmed through it with his right pointer finger while his left hand kept the map flat on his desk.
"There is only one cheap funeral home around town. The Western Gates charges twenty five dollars every month, to keep your loved one buried in their graveyard. That's like the cheapest funeral home ever, around here."
He folded up the map and placed it back into his drawer and faced the hopeless family.

"Alright then. I guess we'll go for it." Mr.- Sawyer replied, leading his family out of the office and back outside to their van.