Chapter 18

Sarah POV

They were found guilty, each would be serving 25 years in prison. Auggie had started school. Her and Brea were enrolled in the same school and had many classes together. Auggie was thriving. She loved her classes and would tell me each day about the new people she talked to. We were going on a week of her being back. She was sleeping better but still seeing Charles. Today, I would be working a 12 hour shift. While Gabi was at the firehouse Brea stayed with us. Tonight Brea and Auggie would be walking home together and waiting for Connor and I until we got home. 

"Auggie!" I called as I opened my door expecting my sister to still be getting ready. Instead she was sitting at the table, looking at her phone, and eating some pancakes Connor had made. "Yes?" she smiled at me noticing my mistake. I smiled back. "You look cute." I walked over to sit down next to her. I noticed Auggie and Connor make eye contact. "What?" I noticed the exchange between the two of them. Connor gave Auggie 'the eye'. I let my jaw drop, "You like a boy don't you!" Auggie giggled and shushed me. "He asked me to a dance this Friday. A winter formal at school." I never thought that I would be sitting at a table talking to my sister about boys. "Can I go?" she asked. "Of course you can go. I'll need his name first so I can facebook stalk him." I winked at her. "It's almost 8." Connor notified me. 

She got Blue and her backpack and we headed down to the car. About 10 minutes later we dropped Auggie off at school. "Have a good day I love you. Text me if you need anything." I said as she got out of the car. "Love you too." she waved. Soon we were off to the hospital. 

I was down in the ED to do a eval when Maggie grabbed me. "We got a big crash heading our way we need you with us." I nodded to her command. I found comfort in the ED. Oddly enough fixing people's bodies was easier than what I do now.

After I spent an hour in the ED I finally was able to go get some fresh air. I pulled my phone out of my pocket when I noticed that I had 3 missed calls from a number I did not know. Suddenly my phone began to ring again from the same number. "Hello?" I answered it. "Sarah," a male voice sighed with relief. "No." I knew this voice. This was my father. "I don't know what you want but no. I refuse to do this." I stubbornly said to the phone. "Sarah I'm sorry. I messed up.." I cut him off. "You do not have the right to do this." I snapped at him. "I heard about what happened to your sister." he sounded conceded. "She has a name. Your daughter has a name and it is August."  I was so angry at him. "I'm in Chicago." he told me. "Well whatever you do here make sure you keep it far away from me and August." 

"What was that about?" a voice asked from behind me. It was Natalie. "That would've been my father." I sighed looking at the phone. Should I text Auggie? Should I tell her about dad trying to reach me? 

"I thought he was out of the picture?" Natalie said as we sat together outside the hospital. "He is." I assured her. "When was the last time you saw him?" Natalie asked. "The last time I spent time with him was when I was 6. Thats when he left. I would see him for like 5 minutes here and there but nothing else." 

"Umm Sarah." Natalie moved her head towards someone walking towards us. "That bastard." I sighed. "H...he called." she sat next to us visibly upset. "Auggie where do your teachers think you are?" Natalie said before I could say anything. "I signed myself out I said that I had an appointment."she was scared enough to leave. "On any other day you would be in trouble to that." I put my arm around her shoulder. "I talked to him."  she admitted to me. 

"Me too." I informed her. "He said he was sorry." she told me. "What did you say back?" I asked. "Nothing. In shock I guess." she rested her head on my shoulder. "Can I see Doctor Charles?" she asked me. I agreed to let her go to him. 

When we walked into the ED Connor did a double take. "Umm?" he asked. "Meet me upstairs." I mouthed. 

Auggie looked ahead knowing her destination. Once we arrived to the ward Charles was so conveniently heading towards us. "Hey Aug what are you doing here?" he asked surprised. With a blank look on her face she responded, "My dad called me." Charles looked at me and I nodded my head to conform. "You have half an hour Auggie and then you have to go back to school." she nodded her head and entered the office. 

When I turned around my gaze met Connors. "Why is Auggie here?" he asked me. "Our dad called." we began to walk down the hall. "What?" Connor asked surprised. "Yep." I assured. "Oh boy." Connor sighed with me. "I don't know what to do Auggie was doing so good." everything was going perfectly and now this was happening. "I think I'm going to call Erin and see if she can come hang out with the girls after school." I pulled out my phone to text her. "I feel awful sending Auggie back to school..." Connor stopped me "She has to learn how to cope. She has to let this one settle. She needs to know also that she can't leave school." this was one of those motherly moments that my mom would've known what to do. "I know. But I just want to protect her." I confided in him. "Me too. But we can't always do that." he reminded me. 

My phone buzzed again. "Brea just texted me." I told Connor.

Brea: Auggie isn't here and she won't answer her phone I'm worried

Me: I am with her she'll be back at school soon

I was relieved to know that she would at least have someone there. I knew it was time to go get Auggie and take her back to school. I headed towards the office to get her. "Remember to breathe Auggie." Dr. Charles reminder her as she gripped to Blue's leash. We walked down the hall and I decided that I needed to get her mind off things. "Did you see your little man today?" I teased. She broke a smile. "He told me he was excited for Friday." 

I then saw what I never wanted to see. I saw my father walking towards Auggie and I.

Questions: 

1) Do you think they should forgive their father?

2) What do you think of the whole crush situation?

3) Who do you want to see more of/ hear more from?