Chapter 13

"Can't bring yourself to face us, is that it? We too scary for you?" Gregory shouted back immediately.

"He can't. Hear you," Melline grumbled into her arms.

Allafair turned to Melline. "Edmund Crockett?" he asked her, the pieces suddenly fitting together. "The man you said framed you?"

"Framed," Elwynn scoffed beneath his breath.

"He did frame me!" Melline burst out. "I was a victim, too."

"You are—" Gregory began, but was suddenly cut off by Crockett's voice.

"You might be wondering why you're all here," the voice shredded by static said.

"I'd be extremely happy if you would enlighten me, Mr. Crockett!" Gregory called back, his voice bouncing around the warehouse ceiling.

The static came back. "One of you already knows why you're here. Quite frankly, I'm surprised she hasn't given me away yet. I suppose when her reputation is in danger, you couldn't find a more loyal servant."

"He talks too much, I don't like it," Gregory said bitterly.

"That's a load of rubbish coming from you," Eloise snapped at him.

"I hate to leave you all in suspense now, so listen closely. You are Britain's greatest intelligence agents and I applaud you on your accomplishments. Eloise Hamm, you are one of the most observant women I've ever met, and that's saying a lot. Women are extremely observant, far too observant for my taste, but you are worth keeping around I suppose.

"Annabelle James. There is not a single human being in this country that can match your physical talent. I enjoy watching you attack men twice your size. Most impressive, impressive indeed.

"Elwynn Brisby, I am not sure I have ever held a gun more beautifully manufactured. You are an artist. Your work is unparalleled...without a match. I couldn't ask for anyone better.

"Gregory Ackroyd—"

"I get it, I'm amazing, get on with your speech!" Gregory growled at the static-filled voice.

"I don't believe there are words that can describe your talents," the voice continued. "Melline Lovelace, I have never witnessed another person to be as manipulative as you. You have harnessed words and turned them into a weapon of mass destruction.

"And finally, Allafair Holt. Famed agent. No one can deceive you, nothing gets past you. Except your one weakness. How easy it was to twist your thoughts on one another when I had someone else ensnare your mind for me.

"Now, I did not invite you here to tell you how magnificent you are. I have a task for you that you will complete lest you put your loved ones and yourselves in grave danger. I need you to take over England for me."

Allafair's blood seemed to freeze in his veins. He couldn't believe the words he had heard. His heart hammered in his ears, pounded in his head. The headache he had had before slowly came back. He looked around at the other agents. They seemed to have the same reaction as he had. Elwynn's head was buried into his hands in shame as he no doubt thought of the guns he had made for this man. Eloise sat up straight now, tense as a rope pulled taught. All their eyes had grown wide in astonishment. All of them, of course, except Melline. She stayed exactly where she had decided to be and kept her face hidden.