"Welcome, welcome!" The King's voice boomed over and the clamor grew quiet. "Nice to meet you, new staff member. Rennie, correct?"

"Yes, your majesty." I chirped politely. I knew to do this even if Mother hadn't told me.

The Queen leaned over the table and sneered at me, "Did you sleep with her?"

"WHAT?" I was intimidated by her forwardness.

The Queen shouted at me, as the room went completely silent, "DID YOU HAVE SEX WITH MY DAUGHTER?!"

"No...I'm a virgin." I was trembling slightly under the Queen's gaze.

The Queen thundered at me, "ARE YOU A LIAR?!"

"Mom, she's telling the truth." Hachi explained evenly. I'm a little jealous now that she's not about to pee herself like I am.

The Queen sat back in a huff. "Did she tempt you?"

"Yes." I managed to calm the shaking a little.

The Queen narrowed her eyes at me. "How is it possible that she didn't get to take you?"

"I don't know." I mumbled in emptiness. I'm so socially screwed in friendships with the other maids. Hachi gave me special honors for no reason, the Queen chewed me out...

The Queen cast a bitter thought to herself aside. "My daughter will eventually. She always does. She will never settle for a wife one day, not when she has a following of unofficiated concubines."

"Dear, don't be so cross about it. Hachi is your one daughter; be proud that you have the one you always wanted. Wasn't there visitors one day who told of a mother and father who cursed their seven sons? Their one daughter was all they had left and she too, left, but to one day hope to bring her brothers home. You have both handsome sons and a beautiful daughter. There's nothing to be disappointed about in either of them. Let them do what they please and sit back, so we may both enjoy our old age, which we barely earned." The King advised.

The Queen sighed and pecked the King on the cheek. He smiled and clapped his hands. The servants directly to the King began to serve breakfast.

There was music and laughter. The hall was bright with golden light and sweet-smelling food. I ate apples, ham, toast, eggs, yummy eggs! Hachi daintily nibbled off a cantaloupe slice, but it still left her with juice across her lip. I took my napkin and wiped, only to find a smirk underneath the cloth after I was done. I huffed and turned to the meal once more, but Hachi offered a spoon of steaming grits. I couldn't resist, so I opened my mouth. Hachi carefully fed me, making sure to blow the offering cool enough to not burn me, which made me laugh and her chuckle at her own silliness. I was the maid here; she was the one supposed to be taken care of like a little girl.

Most of Hachi's maid tables were happy and as bustling as the royal table, but the Favored were sulking at theirs. I wondered if any of them had ever been invited up here. I noticed that Angel wasn't the leader of their group, in fact, it was this one girl who had ridiculously wild hair. It was dyed bright crimson, that shade of fresh blood, and had electric purple streaks. I noticed that as I looked at her hair color, what was purple in her hair and what was red in her hair would change places. Her eyes were a muted green though and she talked energetically to the sullen others. Her hands were large and waved fast enough she could probably fly.

Hachi traced my gaze. "I call her Butterfly."

"Why?" I wondered if it was because of her vivid colors.

Hachi murmured, "She's bi and flits around from girl to guy. She's slept with more of the servants than me, on account of the guys. Butterfly's an easy-going girl in bed, she takes bottom often, but if she senses any hesitation, she'll get on top and rock your world. I walked in on her humping the heck out of a screaming Sugar, but Sugar liked it, don't worry. Butterfly's sweetly aloof of anyone she doesn't trust, but she's pretty deep when it comes to talking about anyone's past, especially hers, and she's an amazing storyteller. If you're lucky, you'll hear her tell the tale of the scholar's nook she grew up in."