That's it! Redemption shot down and Akira had to grasp the saddle horn. Her legs clamped around the saddle flaps as she automatically braced herself at her dragon's sudden descent. Her teeth rattled as the wind tore at her. It stopped as her dragon slowed and landed. One of his feet crushed a bucket and his tail smashed through a wooden cart.

Feeling somewhat shaken, Akira looked up. She found herself staring at a group of armed horsemen. They stared back, fear written on their faces.

Redemption bared his teeth. He let out a low growl. You must have a death with, trying to ruin my scales with a puny arrow! Akira heard him think.

She knew the rider's wouldn't hear him, yet, another thought was on her mind as she stared at the riders. Ree...why are we on the ground?

Redemption froze, seeming to realize that fact.

The raiders before them had their eyes glued on Redemption. Something bothered Akira about their expressions. It wasn't that there was no fear, no, fear definitely gripped them. Yet, as their eyes wandered across the white dragon, something along the lines of recognition, and then disbelief, crossed their faces.

The moment passed. Somewhere, a woman screamed.

Ree, Akira ordered grimly.

Her dragon didn't hesitate. He charged at the raiders before him. They scampered away like rabbits from a wolf.

Redemption wasn't about to be outdone. He whirled, his tail whipping around and catching an unfortunate horse and its rider. They went crashing into the side of a burning hut.

Unfortunately, the action put the young and inexperienced dragon off balance. He staggered to the side, tail knocking off the top of a well. Akira, too, was affected. Her sword went flying. She watched helplessly as it landed in the dirt.

It was the least of her concerns as she caught sight of the horse charging them from the side. It's rider brandishing a spear.

Ree!

Redemption recovered. He turned just as the rider let the spear fly. Akira ducked and the spear flew over her in a lucky miss. The white dragon let out a roar of anger at the obvious attack on his rider. His head snaked towards the offenders. The horse was too slow to avoid the dragon's jaws from enclosing around its neck.

The creature let out a scream before Akira heard the sickening crunch. She saw the corpse be tossed to one side, rider flying from its back. Her vision blurred as her stomach churned. A hand flew to her mouth.

Akira, her dragon spread his wings.

I'm fine... Akira replied as she fought the urge to throw up. We have to help. Determination filled her once more. Don't mind me.

There was a yell as two swordsmen charged towards them.

I don't assume you can breathe fire? Akira couldn't help the wishful thinking. She knew too well that Redemption hadn't mastered the art. It took dragons years to do so, most some never achieved it.

Don't remind me. Redemption charged the riders. At the last moment his wings spread out and he rose. He swopped above the men, grabbing one in each talon.

Akira turned her head away as he dropped them a few feet later. Her dragon, being a lot less squeamish by nature, turned for another attack.

They're not leaving, Redemption's thought made Akira turn her attention back on the village. He was right. The attackers were standing their ground. They only thing that had changed was that they had turned their attention away from fleeing villagers to the dragon and girl.