02

Laying out my sketch book I bring up a reference photo of my mother. It's been a day since the shooting people have been leaving nasty words on the windows of the shoppe. The staff had quit once word of the shooting got out, because "they didn't want to be associated with a place that had bloodshed". So now it's only me and Pop's working the place. There has been no activity at the shoppe either, probably only five people have trickled in since yesterday but that's about it.

I look up from my sketch book when I hear a grunt coming from Pop. I watch him as he picks up some boxes.

"Pop are you sure you don't need any help?" I question holding both ends of my pencil.

"I'm sure I don't need help" Pop Tate smiles at me. "You don't need to be here Abbie"

"That man could come back at any time, you were a witness to the shooting. If he comes back he has to get through me first"

My eyes follow him as he carries the box to the back. As he is about to go into the kitchen the shoppe bell rings and three members, two boys and a girl, of the infamous gang in Riverdale walk in wearing their leather jackets as if it was their second skin. And image of a snake ironed onto the back along with the words South Side Serpents. As Pop is about to set down the box of ingredients I close my sketch book and get out of the booth.

"I got them Pop. You can go in the back" I smile.

"Thank you Abbie" Pop smiles.

"Anything for you Pop" I flash him a smile. Walking behind the register I smile at the serpents. "Welcome to Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe how can I help you today?"

"Two chocolates and one strawberry shake" one of the boys orders.

"Anything else with the shakes?"

"Small cheese fries" the girl with pink streaks in her hair adds on.

"Okay. So it's two chocolate shakes, a strawberry shake, and a order of small cheese fries?"

"Yes"

"Okay your order total is $14.96"

The boy, whom I believe is the leader of the trio, hands me a twenty.

"Keep the change" He says walking away to a booth with the other two following.

"Thanks"

I take the slip of the cheese fry order to the back and give it to Pop. Once I got back to the register the door chimes. Looking up I make eye contact with the one and only, Reggie Mantle. I groan and lean forward on my hands rolling eyes.

"What do you want Mantle?" I say through my teeth.

"I just want to talk" Reggie shoves his hands into his Letterman jacket.

"You've done enough as it is"

"Abbie, come on-"

"Reggie. I said I don't want to talk to you" I grab the rag on the counter and bunch it up in my hands. "Now if you aren't going to order something you can leave"

"Ab-"

"Reggie just stop! Okay, it's done, we're done. Now leave me alone" I toss the rag at him and begin to walk back to my booth, but a hand wraps around my wrist stopping me. "Let me go"

"Not until you listen"

I glare at him. "Let. Me. Go"

"Please-"

"Let her go" the serpent girl walks up to us.

"Go away serpent slut, it's none of your business"

"It is my business when I can hear you from the other side of the damn diner" she points to where she is sitting. "She doesn't want to talk to you, so you better let her go"

"Please you don't have to do this, I can handle him" I plead with her as I try to pry off Reggie's grip but it only tightens.

"Sorry but it doesn't look like it" she makes eye contact me and returns it to Reggie. "Let her go and get out"

"Reggie get out of here before in call the sheriff" Pop steps out from the back holding the cheese fries.

"Fine" Reggie tanks his hand away and I clutch my wrist. "We're not done here"

"I think you are" the girl retorts before Reggie walks out and she looks back at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Sorry about him"

"Don't be sorry that dude was a douche" she smiles and extends her hand. "I'm Toni"

"Abbie" I shake her hand. "You probably should get back to your friends before they eat all the fries"

I point to the two boys as the dig into the fries. I didn't catch what Toni said before she went back to her table. Looking at the time I see that it was pass the time when I should be heading to the school. Packing up my stuff I say goodbye to Pop and walk to the rented car

***

Walking into the school my three best friends are quickly by my side. They had a look on their faces like something went wrong.

"No hello?" I smile as I get to my locker and open it.

"It's Reggie" Lucy states and looks at my two best friends, Lucas and Diana.

"What is he saying this time?"

"That the reason why the two of you broke up is that you were sleeping with a South Sider" Lucas holds onto the straps of his backpack.

"And people are actually believing this shit?" They nod. I roll my eyes, shutting my locker I start walking away.

"Where are you going? We have class" Diana questions as the warning bell for first period rings.

I turn and face them and continue to walk, now backwards. "Mantle wanted to talk, well that's what I'm giving him"

I turn back around and proceed down the crowded hallway, most students I pass gives me disgusting looks. Within a minute I find Reggie talking too Moose and Midge at his locker. Pushing the people in front of me I get towards Reggie. He makes eye contact with me and smiles.

"Reggie can I have a word with you?" I smile folding my hands.

"Mantle you fucked up" Moose states.

"I gotta get to class can't it wait?" Reggie asks.

"Yes class can wait but were going to talk right now"

"See ya later Mantle" Moose says then looks at me he gave me an I'm sorry look and out his arm around Midge's shoulders.

"Bye Abbie" Midge places a hand on my arm.

"Bye guys" once the two left I place my hand on a closed locker and glare at my ex. "What the hell Reggie?"

"I was upset" he mumbles.

"Oh so because you are upset you get to say anything you want, things that you know aren't true?"

"Abbie" the final bell signaling that class has already started rings, but I stay put. "I'm sorry. Sorry for everything"

"Oh now you're sorry after three years of making me believe in not good for anyone else but you, now you're sorry? or are you sorry that I caught you getting sucked off by someone" I cross my arm and let out a laugh. "I'm done with you Mantle. You've hurt me. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to class"

I bump my shoulder against him as I walk past him and head to my English class. Walking into the class Weatherbee stands in front of the silent class. Sitting down next to Diana I look over at her.

"What's going on and why does everyone look like someone died?" I whisper.

"Weatherbee informed us about Ms. Grundy" she answers.

"What about her? She doesn't teach here anymore"

"She was found dead in her house"

"Do we know how?"

"She was murdered"