01

Every story has an end to it. But in Riverdale there is no end to a simple story, and there is no happy ending.

****

Putting on the apron I take out stuff for the morning rush. As much as I wanted to sleep in from the long night I had after the Jubilee, I need to make my own money to fix my car's break line, without getting money from my parents. Looking at the time it was around 9 am so the early commuters would be coming in soon to get their early cup of joe. The only two people who are in at the moment are Fred Andrews and his son Archie.

Refilling the flour bin, my blood runs cold as a gunshot rings out from the front. I wanted to run out from the back but fear stops me, my feet are glued to the floor. The bin of flour that was in my hands is on the floor and the flour is everywhere. I hear a few muffled shouts coming from the front and I stay silent.

Once the front bell rings my feet became unglued and I run out to the front. Running straight over to Pop's he motions me over to the right. My eyes scan the floor and I see money spread all over and my face deadpans as I see a pool of blood. My breathing hitches as I see Archie holding Fred in his arms trying to stop the bleeding. As I went to grab the landline Pop's was already at it, he motions me to get over to the Andrews. Obeying on his command I run out from behind the counter and to them. Kneeling in the warm thick liquid Archie's watery eyes meet mine. I put out my shaking hands and look down at Fred.

"P-Pop is calling the police" I stutter. "W-we need to get to the hospital fast. We can't wait for the ambulance it's too much of a risk. Can you drive?"

All he does is shake his head and look down at his father.

"I cant drive my car. I need to use yours, where are the keys?"

"In-in his right pocket" Archie chokes.

I nodding and carefully take out the keys. "Okay now that we need to carefully get him to the vehicle but fast"

Archie nods his heads. I get onto my feet they make a suction sound as I step away to go grab a clean rag from behind the counter. Getting back to the Andrews I cover Archie's hands that add pressure to the wound. Motioning him to remove his hands, he slowly does and I quickly reapply the pressure. He slowly gets to his feet. Carefully and gently he loops his arm around his father. I feel Fred's blood soak into my uniform as I feel some of his weight lean onto my side. Getting to their truck I help Archie put Fred in the back.

"Keep his head elevated, keep checking to see if he has a heart rate and still breathing. If you loose either of those tell me immediately. I'm going to drive to Riverdale General as quick as I can. I'm not letting him die, I promise you that" I give directions to the distraught Archie.

I hop into the driver's seat and put the key in ignition, without checking behind me I whip out of the parking space and out of the lot. I drive nearly over 100 down the streets of our small town. Thankfully it's the morning and it has hit 10 yet so the streets are empty. I listen to Archie as he keeps informing me on Fred's situation he's still alive and that's what matters.

Quickly pulling into the hospital's parking lot I park the truck not caring if it was perfect or not. Pulling the key out of ignition I open the door and jump out. I open the back and get Archie out helping him with Fred I slam the door shut and we quickly usher Fred inside.

"Help, please" I shout once we open the doors

"Help, hey! Someone help me and my dad" Archie shouts and nearly the whole staff rushes over.

"Gurney!" a nurse yells

"What happened to him?" A doctor asks.

"He was, he was shot"

"Sir, can you hear me?" A nurse asks "Can you tell me your name?"

"His name's Fred Andrews" Archie answers for him.

Everything seems to move in slow motion at this point. The nurses and doctors ushers Fred into a surgery room. Archie stands at the double doors looking in. Walking to his side I place my hand on his upper back. It only stays like that for a few seconds before Archie pulls me into a hug.

His quite sobs are muffled by my shoulder and we stay there like this for a minute or so before I pull away.

"Go sit down in the lobby, I'll be right back, I'm gonna call Betty" I say giving his arm a light squeeze and I walk to the doors.

Pulling out my phone from my apron's front pocket. I open up Betty's contact and press call. Bringing the phone to my ear it only takes a few rings before it picks up.

"Hey" Betty's soft voice comes through the other end.

"Hi Betty, you need to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Fred's been shot" I say quickly.

"What?"

"He's been shot and Archie needs everyone he can get right now" my voice falters and I turn to face the hospital. "He's lost way too much blood, I-I honestly don't know if he'll make it out"

"I'm on my way, just be with Archie right now. I'll call Veronica and Jughead"

"Okay" I bite my lip. "Bye Betty"

"Bye Abbie"

As I hang up I stare at my reflection, and the bloody reflection stares back at me. Taking a deep shaky breath i put my phone away and walk back into the hospital.