To Love Is to Die - Chapter Nine

Начните с самого начала

Abbi let that sink in. So, vampires who were changed from human aren't really considered true vampires? "Where is your wife, Nathaniel's mother?" asked Abbi, trying to change the subject.

The look on his face was suddenly anguished, like a broken clock who no longer ticked. At first, she was confused; did she say something to make him so sad? And then: "She is no longer with us."

Abbi had nothing left to say at his soft, unresponsive words. She felt a compassion go out to the man, to Nathaniel, and guilt was suddenly punching her in the stomach. Abbi hadn't meant being up buried pain. "I'm sorry." She said, keeping her tone mild.

"Sorry about what?"

Abbi started at the familiar voice, her gaze flying to Nathaniel, who stood in the doorway of the kitchen. His hair was tousled from sleep, his shirt hastily thrown on, and his eyes light and curious. Even in the morning, he was beautiful.

"Abigail and I were speaking of the laws, son. I'm disappointed you didn't mention any of them to her." Alexander said, his heavy voice muted by the mug near his face. The moment of grief had passed, and he returned completely impassive.

Something in Nathaniel's eyes sparked as he turned to Abbi, expecting an explanation; she gave him none and instead shrugged her shoulders and returned to her coffee. Everyone was silent. Nathaniel moved to stand next to her, and he almost would have put an arm over her shoulders if she didn't shy away from his touch. Romantic Involvement; punishable by death. She chided herself.

His expression stayed mystified towards her, but turned sour once he shared a glare with his father.

Abbi felt embarrassed for being the unmistakable cause of this wrinkle in between them. She swallowed the rest of her coffee, set the cup down loudly, and raised a finger. "If you'll excuse me Nathaniel, Alexander, I have to get ready. Thank you for the coffee, sir."

Alexander nodded lazily; his eyes were still locked on Nathaniel.

She almost ran to the door, and once she was out, she remained in earshot. Anything Alexander prepared to tell Nathaniel would definitely be of interest. Abbi heard Nathaniel's voice before anyone else's.

"You told her!" He accused, his voice coming down like a harsh hiss.

"She deserved to know."

"But not like this, I was planning on telling her, I just-"

"When? When were you planning on telling her, Nathaniel? When both of you are strung at the noose?" Alexander sounded angry; really angry.

Nathaniel didn't say anything in response. She knew he was pacing by the silence that followed; she imagined him running a hand through his hair irritably. "It wouldn't have gotten that far." He muttered.

Alexander heard him. "Of course it would have. You even caught the attention of Mercy, and she barely ever stops by. We only care about you, Nathaniel. Cut this foolishness out."

"There is nothing foolish about the way I feel!"

Abbi's heart stopped in her chest, it stuttered, and did flips before she had to gasp in a breath. Their argument suddenly ceased. The way I feel ...

Alexander was just warning Nathaniel for future reference. To stop this nonsense before he got too attached, right? It made sense. But then- what had Nathaniel meant? The way I feel? She slid away from them, her knees weak as climbed the stairs and stumbled toward his bedroom.

Abigail felt odd. Her limbs were like floppy noodles, while her stomach clenched with unnecessary nerves, something building and clutching, making her feel like she wanted to vomit.