Goodbye - 4

It was hours since the cannon. Not long after, Vedran had closed his eyes and gone to sleep; the entrance to the Cornucopia faced away from the sun and it was always a bit dark. Megan's eyes had got used to it, enough that she could write by it.

That was what she was doing.

She wasn't sure how or where she'd picked up the pen and paper, but she was glad she had. She couldn't say this out loud but she had to get it down.

She had to start again several times. It just didn't seem right. Everything she wrote came out wooden and emotionless, and for once that wasn't what she meant at all.

She looked over at Vedran. He was curled up in a ball, troubled again. She half-wished he would open his eyes, just so she could see them one last time. See the look in his eyes that second he woke up, when everything was alright and there were no Games, it was just them.

The right words came to her in a flash. Quickly, she scribbled them down, before her brain told her they were too mushy. She had to use her heart for this; she actually had a heart. She'd found it, and now she'd found it she was going to have to lose it again.

She bit her lip to stop herself crying.

Vedran stirred. Quickly, she hid the note behind her back and put her blank face on, even though he'd probably see right through it.

"Megan?" he murmured.

"I'm here." He opened one eye blearily; still half-asleep. She crawled over, sitting next to him and resting her head on his familiar shoulder. He toyed absently with a strand of her hair.

"Anything new?" he croaked, as if he was afraid to ask. She shook her head. She felt comfortable here. No, she had to go.

"Nothing. Go back to sleep."

He was still half asleep anyway. She could tell; his expression wasn't harrowed, his eyes clear and untroubled in a way that was impossible if you were awake. He put a warm arm around her shoulders. It was ridiculous, but it made her feel safe. He'd put himself between her and Court. He would do anything to protect her.

She couldn't let him.

Eventually, his head drooped and he started snuffling softly. She knew that sound well; he was asleep.

She took a deep breath, watching the rise and fall of his chest. Still breathing, for now.

With a heavy heart, she tucked the note into his chest pocket and gently wriggled out from under his arm.

She couldn't just go. This was the last time she'd see him in the flesh.

Quickly, she pressed her lips to his and ran from the Cornucopia before the tears took over.

The little light inside the Cornucopia was red and orange. It touched the back of Vedran's eyelids, warming them and waking him up. The sunset outside must be beautiful.

Megan wasn't inside.

He jumped up very quickly. No signs of a struggle, nothing. He forced himself to calm down. She'd probably just gone for a walk, to collect her emotions. Rubbing his eyes, he stumbled to the front of the Cornucopia and peered outside, to see if he could see her.

The sunset was as beautiful as he had thought, beams of orange light shining through the trees. It nearly took his breath away. The thought that this could be his last sunset pushed at the edge of his mind but he forced it back. This was a moment for living in the moment. He just wished that Megan was here to see it with him; she was probably sat somewhere watching it herself. Then she'd come back and pretend she wasn't getting sentimental about a burning ball of gas and the rotation of the earth.

Something crackled in his pocket.

His heart hammering, he pulled it out. It was a small, scrubby piece of paper, washed in pink in the sun, covered in neat circular writing.

'Thanks for believing me.

You're the first person who has done that, and probably the last who ever will. One of us has to die, and I hope it's not you. But I hope it's not me too. I know you'll understand, not just that, but also why I've gone.

I wish we could stay here forever. But these are the games. We can't. We're here as enemies and we should have remembered that from the start, both of us.

I'm glad we didn't though. Glad I didn't. I'll never forget you, Vedran. Whatever happens, you have my word that I will not forget. And if I die, I'll watch over you as long as you live.

Love, Megan''